Premiering REDPATCH: Honouring Indigenous Soldiers in the Canadian Army

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

This spring, Hardline Productions is proud to present the world premiere of the historical Canadian drama REDPATCH , which tells the story of a young Métis volunteer soldier from the Nuu-chah-nuith nation of Vancouver Island who is deployed to fight in World War I.

The drama is set in Canada and the battlefields of France as the Métis soldier endures trench warfare, as well as discrimination due to his Indigenous heritage. Written by Co-Artistic Directors Raes Calvert and Sean Harris Oliver, the drama aims to create a deeper understanding of the contributions of First Nations soldiers and communities during World War I

The show opens on March 29th at Presentation House Theatre, marking the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Because it is premiering in 2017, this performance is especially timely as it is being shown during Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. It’s important subject matter serves to celebrate diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation with Indigernous peoples.

The drama will be shown at the Presentation House Theatre March 29th-April 9th, and at Studio 16 on April 12th-16th. If you are interested in Canada’s complex history and are looking for a way to celebrate its 150th birthday, REDPATCH is the perfect play to see. 

Buy Tickets Here!

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.