Notes of Celebration: Good Noise Vancouver Gospel Choir

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

2015 marks twelve years since the Good Noise Vancouver Gospel Choir was organized, a choirm which today consists of about 90 people. Gail Suderman, Good Noise’s Artistic Director says that “some [choir members] have a church background” but that there are “many who don’t.”

Gospel music itself has a history going back to the enslavement of African Americans in the United States. At this time songs that are known as “spirituals,” developed in an oral tradition. Spirituals were passed on from one person to the next, finally being written down in the late 19th century. From there the Blues movement picked up on this tradition. When African American Blues pianist Thomas Dorcay had a spiritual awakening, he started to write more spiritual songs like “Precious Lord Take My Hand,” which was sung at Martin Luther King Jr.’s funeral. Dorcay is known as the “father” of Gospel music.

Gospel music continues to be popular today, as it has notably gained popularity in the last ten to fifteen years. Christmas concerts featuring Gospel music are very popular, however there is also a huge interest in Gospel music outside of Christmas, and there are lots of Gospel choirs in Lower Mainland and across Canada. In fact both York University and the University of Toronto have gospel choirs for students.

Suderman defines Gospel music as, “music with a text that refers to spiritual things, or church things, but is in the style of the day,” and usually in the African American tradition.

Indeed, Gospel music is often adapted to contemporary musical styles. For example, Elvis merged the pop sound of his day to Gospel music in ’50s. Musicians in the ’60s wove Gospel music together with Motown, R&B, and soul. Good Noise’s concerts this year is featuring a Glee-inspired “Angels We Have Heard on High” and music from Michael W. Smith as well.

Although Gospel music adapts to the current sound of the day, the content and the message of love has remained the same. In fact, a lot of people are very drawn to Gospel music because of its very positive message and energy, and all the excitement and joy that the audience gets from the choir itself. “Our concerts are just a big celebration,” says Suderman, noting that audiences sometimes even get up and participate in the singing.

This year the concert will feature David Sinclair, a well known guitarist who is most well-known for playing with Sarah McLaughlin. He also played recordings for Michael Bublé.

“What I wish for is that they will leave with more joy than they walked in with by just being a part of the whole experience of the music. This year we called our concert Celebrate,” says Suderman. “So that we as a choir would help to create that atmosphere that leaves people with a bit more joy in their life, more spring in their step.”

Although Good Noise’s Friday and Saturday night concerts are sold out, tickets are still available for their Sunday matinee performance on December 13th. Tickets can be purchased through this website or by calling 1-800-838-3006 and asking for Good Noise Vancouver Gospel Choir.

Jacqueline Marchioni is a fifth year Honours English major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor.