Kiran: UBC’s Own InstaPoet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Hello all!  I had the great pleasure of interviewing the crazy talented and incredibly kind Kiran Kaur, a second year Psychology student at UBC who has a knack for words and making people smile. I asked Kiran to tell me a bit about herself and this is what she wrote:

“My name is Kiran and I’m a second year psychology student. My two greatest passions are photography and writing poetry. My motivation to write poetry sparks from my belief that we are all connected on a deep level that goes beyond physicality. I also love breaking barriers and norms, especially when it comes to the standards of beauty that have been set for females. We are constantly taught what beauty is, but never given the chance to define it ourselves. Feminine beauty doesn’t have to be quiet, soft and pretty. It is allowed to be rough and rugged with sharp edges. On some days, I love to roll up my jeans and watch everyone get confused by the hair on my legs! I have always questioned why my body hair made me feel disgusting and realized that it is because I was simply taught that, not because it actually is disgusting. Body hair is just one of the many issues when it comes to the standards of beauty for females.  I am now slowly reclaiming my body and redefining what beauty means to me. I have finally found the self-love that I have been looking for by recognizing the light that is within everyone, including myself.

Follow her poetry Instagram account: @kiranyy_