Jacqueline Marchioni and Emily Morehead: Future Campus Correspondents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The month of April will feature the Campus Correspondents and Co-Editors-in-Chief of past, present, and future of Her Campus at UBC. This week, we look ahead to the future of our chapter’s leadership and talk to two lovely women whom our chapter has been lucky to know and work with: Jacqueline Marchioni and Emily Morehead.

*****

Names:

Jacqueline Marchioni, 4th year BA English Honours

Emily Morehead, 3rd year BA Honours Political Science

You and Her Campus

What is your current role with HC at UBC?

J: Senior Editor

E: Senior editor and Recruitment Director

How did you get involved with HC at UBC? 

J: My friend used to be a staff writer for HCUBC and she was telling me about it and I thought it sounded amazing so she brought me to a meeting.

E: I had known about Her Campus for a while, and when I discovered UBC’s page, I wanted to get involved!

Any memorable moments from your time with HC at UBC?

J: One time after I reviewed a show from UBC Theatre my favourite professor came up to me in class the next day and said that I had written a very good article and that her daughter had been playing the lead role, which I had had no idea was the case, and I was so flattered that she read my article and liked it.

E: In November, when I was trying to get to the Her Campus social, I got lost in a very, very, dark residential neighbourhood and finding my way to the social was a hilarious experience. 

You and UBC

What has been your favourite class at UBC?

J: English 419 History of the Book

E: I really love my political theory class on the Politics of Fear from this term. The content is very timely. 

Favourite professor?

J: Siân Echard

E: Professor Benita Bunjun – she has pushed me to think in a way that no other professor has 

What do you think is the best study spot on campus?

J: I really love studying in the Harry Potter Room because it’s a quiet and beautiful space.

E: Life Sciences Institute 

What would you tell your first-year self, if you could?

J: Try and leave your room and see other humans sometimes.

E: Make time for yourself, you can always plan your work in a way that you have time for a break.

Any solid post-graduation plans yet?

J: I’d like to read books for fun again.

E: Nothing solid yet, but I’m hoping to go to law school.

Getting to Know You

Where do you call home?

J: Surrey, BC

E: Dublin, California

Where do you hope to travel in the future, if anywhere?

J: There are a lot of sites I’d like to see in the United Kingdom, especially in England.

E:  I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand

Favourite food?

J: Avocadoes

E: Goldfish crackers 

Any guiding quotes/principles that you turn to?

J: “Know Thyself” – 8th Delphic Maxim

E: “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Robert Frost

What TV show, movie, or literary character do you most closely identify with?

J: Tara Maclay from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

E: Lily from How I Met Your Mother 

*****

We hope you’re as excited as we all are to see where Her Campus at UBC goes with its two new wonderful leaders!

Stay tuned for the present and past Campus Correspondents…

Katie (she/her) has a Graduate Diploma in Business from Queen's University and a BA in Psychology with a minor in Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice Minor from the University of British Columbia. She is a former Campus Correspondent of HC at UBC and is passionate about people and their wellbeing, photography, and food.