This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

As someone who avoids leaving their house at all costs, I’ve turned to online shopping for its convenience and comfort (can anyone think of a store that lets you shop in your underwear?). Over the years, I’ve collected a few tricks that make it a little easier, and also save you some money. Here are my tips for shopping online:   

1. Do your research

This is probably the most important step. Make sure that before you send out any payments, the website that you are using is reliable and safe. To do this, simply google reviews about the site or ask around to see if someone you know has used it before. Some sites that I trust are Fashion Nova, Lulus, Princess Polly, and any online version of your favourite retail stores (i.e Guess, Dynamite, etc.) 

2. Read the Reviews 

Always read the reviews to ensure that clothes you order are what you expect. It can useful to see how other people liked them. For instance, if a lot of people review that the sweater you’re considering is actually super scratchy, it’s probably not a good idea to buy it. Additionally, you can see if a majority thought the clothing runs big or small to help you choose sizes. Unfortunately, some sites don’t have this feature, but if you search reviews of the brand on YouTube, you can usually find someone who has ordered from the site. 

3. Search YouTube for promo codes 

This is my favoruite trick for saving money: before you purchase anything, make sure to search YouTube for a clothing haul of that brand (i.e “Princess Polly Haul”). When you find a video, look in the description box to see if the YouTuber has a discount code listed for the site. I’ve done this for numerous sites and have gotten up to 50% off my entire order. You can thank me later. 

4. Use the measurement guide 

Sites vary in the measurements they use so make sure you check each one versus relying on what you usually are. This is especially the case when ordering international-you don’t want to make the mistake of buying a UK 6 because that’s what you are in US sizing. 

5. Leave everything in your cart overnight before buying

When you go shopping, it can often end in impulse purchases. The great thing about online shopping, however, is that you don’t have to worry about making the trip to the store the next day if you’re unsure of something. Instead, you have the luxury of leaving everything in your cart and sleeping on it. When you go back the next day, you may realize you don’t really need those faux fur earmuffs. Exception to this rule is if there are crazy one day sales or you’ve had your eye on an item for awhile! 

6. When shopping internationally, double check what their policy on duties is 

Most companies will make the customor pay for any duty fees when your clothing enters a new country, so make sure that you understand that even if your total says $80.00, you could end up paying an extra $40.00 in duties. 

Online shopping can be a really fun-and time consuming-activity. The more you do it, the more you will find what works for you, and which sites you feel comfortable ordering from. I never thought I’d order bikinis online, but the more you shop the bolder you get. Happy shopping HC UBC Cuties! 

All gifs taken from Giphy.com 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.