Guide to the 17th Annual Vancouver International Dance Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The month of March not only means the end of winter for the metro Vancouver area, but also a four-week long extravaganza of performances, workshops and dance activities as part of the Vancouver International Dance Festival (VIDF). From March 1-25, Vancouver gets the incredible opportunity to witness artists from around the world showcase their talents alongside our talented Canadian artists.

The festival will start off with a bang with two performances by Alonzo King LINES Ballet on March 3rd  and 4th  at the Vancouver Playhouse. As this ensemble’s performances sold out at VIDF in 2012, their shows are a must see! The company, known for its innovation, hyper-physicality and technical mastery, has worked with artists around the world to create pieces that transform classical ballet. This year the ensemble will be sharing the Canadian premieres of Sand and Shostakovich on the Vancouver Playhouse stage. The student price is only $50, so get your tickets as soon as you can!

Not only does VIDF include numerous shows throughout March, but the festival is also host to training opportunities for intermediate to advanced dancers, life drawing classes for the public, and multiple free performances for the Vancouver community. As life is expensive for us students, it is awesome that VIDF offers multiple accessible events that are free and events with reduced prices for students. Make sure to take advantage of this great opportunity to see art for less, collegiettes!

Make sure to check out VIDF’s website to learn more about the performances and free shows, check out the program guides, learn about the festival’s history, and to purchase tickets. Hope to see you at the festival, HCUBC cuties! 

Emily Morehead is a fourth-year Honours Political Science major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor - and the current co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UBC! :) She hopes to pursue law in the future and run for office someday. Emily loves taking long hikes up mountains, traveling to new places, and obsessing over cute corgis.