Festive Cantatas: A Bach Christmas Special at the Chan Centre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The most festive time of the year is back at UBC’s very own Chan Centre for the Performing Arts. On December 18, 2016 at 3 PM, Early Music Vancouver (EMV), in collaboration with the Pacific Baroque Orchestra (PBO), is putting on Festive Cantatas: Bach Magnificat. HCUBC spoke with Matthew White, the executive artistic director for Early Music Vancouver, to learn more about the production.

As it is Christmas time for many in Vancouver, Bach Magnificat is the perfect show for those who love Christmas (or Christmas music) and love the music of J.S. Bach. The show features one of Bach’s most famous works, along with the beautiful sound of celebratory trumpets and singing from five incredible, internationally-renowned soloists. To emphasize just how amazing and breathtaking this concert is, White said, “You’ll go away very happy.”

This performance at the Chan is the last stop for this production’s tour of the Pacific Northwest. Before arriving in Vancouver, the production visited Portland, Seattle, and Victoria. Not a Vancouverite? Make sure to look out for similar productions in the future that may tour those cities! As White emphasized, “this is the best group on the West Coast to hear this [Bach] music”.

Don’t fret if you missed out on the production Sunday afternoon! Early Music Vancouver has put on a big Christmas-time show at the Chan Centre every year for about the past 20 years – so there will surely be a production against next year. Make sure to keep an eye out for the Festive Cantatas series next year, HCUBC! 

Emily Morehead is a fourth-year Honours Political Science major and a Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice minor - and the current co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UBC! :) She hopes to pursue law in the future and run for office someday. Emily loves taking long hikes up mountains, traveling to new places, and obsessing over cute corgis.