Eunice Kwok : Biological Sciences Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Eunice Kwok has taken UBC by storm. The fifth year biology student is not only passionate about her academic pursuits, but is also an influential leader for the UBC community. Her Campus UBC was able to catch up with Eunice to learn more about her life and how she manages to be a science whiz and an event planner extraordinaire.

HC: You are really involved in campus life. What kinds of clubs and organizations are you apart of?

Eunice: Since second year, I have been part of UBC BIOSOC, the club for biology students on campus. I also helped plan a collaborative dance with three other science clubs for Valentine’s Day called ‘Nerd Love.’ The event was so successful and it completely sold out. In 2014, we held the dance again and I won a UBC AMS Just Desserts award for promoting the collaboration between student clubs and building a stronger student community.

I have also joined a biomedical engineering team this year (UBC BEST). I am part of the research team and we are developing a device for musical therapy for rehabilitation or movement development. This lets me apply my knowledge of the human body, and work with engineers.

Most recently, I was the Imagine Day coordinator for the Science Undergraduate Society (SUS) to plan and be a liaison between the clubs and SUS. We featured events throughout the week and many freebies and prizes. I managed much of the social media and our events received more exposure than ever before.

HC: You are also doing research as part of your academic career. Can you tell us a bit about your research in blood and diabetes and why this interests you? 

Eunice: I spent two summers working as part of the Centre for Blood Research’s summer studentship. My project involved “immunocamouflaging” red blood cells from white blood cells to prevent transfusion reactions. This project got me very interested in autoimmune diseases (e.g. Diabetes, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis) and why they happen. I was then part of Dr. Tim Kieffer’s lab, looking for potential therapeutics to diabetes in mice. This sparked my interest to continue this type of work, and currently I am working on a directed studies project with Dr. Mark Scott and Dr. Marc Horwitz, using an miRNA cocktail to prevent Multiple Sclerosis in mice. 

I think it’s fascinating how the immune system is meant to protect the body from infections by viruses and bacteria, but in autoimmune disease this balance is lost and the immune system attacks the body itself. This can happen in all body systems causing many different diseases. I am hoping to understand autoimmune diseases from a general and specific perspective, and how potential therapeutics may be developed.

HC: It is really awesome to see a female leader on campus. What inspires you to take on leadership roles? 

Eunice: I consider myself the “granny of the campus,” with lots of experience in event planning, club work and involvement in research! I want to share my advice with younger students so they can get make the most of their post secondary experience. I am who I am from all that I have done and my mentors who have given me great advice. I really want to encourage and make a difference in lives of others.

HC: What are your goals for the future?

Eunice: I’m looking to do a graduate studies project in autoimmunity or immunology – but I’m also interested in science communications! The sky’s the limit!

Fourth year Political Science and English Literature Major at UBC. Vancouverite/South Asain/ Canadian. Lover of coffee and Beyonce.