Emma Watson Thinks You’re a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Actress & UN Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson at the UN headquarters

Collegiate, it is time to talk about the F-word. No, not that one. The other one. The word Feminism.

For some of us, being called a feminist is not really a big deal. We know what the cause is, and we are comfortable – even passionate – about supporting it. But for others, it is a bad word. It means angry, yelling, old, cat ladies who hate men. It prompts awkward silences, or even more awkward twitter campaigns like #notallmen or #womenagainstfeminism. Like the other F-word, it is something we often hesitate before using out of concern for how our audience might react.

Emma Watson, recently instated Women’s Goodwill ambassador to the UN (you may also know her as Hermione Granger) made a speech at the United Nations Headquarters last week, inviting men and women of the world to work together under a campaign called ‘HeForShe’ – a campaign that aims to raise awareness of gender equality.

The ‘HeForShe’ campaign is a solidarity movement for gender equality. 

Watson’s UN speech is a metaphorical roundhouse kick in the face of the terribly awkward stigma associated with Feminism. It is perfect, to the point where it would make Hermione proud. The actress and UN goodwill ambassador directly addresses stereotypes, defining feminism as exactly what it is: “the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”. In her teens, Emma watched her friends, male and female, shy away from certain behaviours in order to appear attractive to the opposite sex and avoid criticism. She watched the media sexualize herself and female peers after she turned 15. Watson has visited developing countries where women and girls will never be allowed to receive secondary education while on the contrary; boys and men are encouraged to attain degrees. In her speech, she asserts that this is wrong.

As she puts it:

“I am from Britain and think it is right that as a woman I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country.”

And as a result of this realization:

“I decided I was a feminist and this seemed uncomplicated to me. But my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word.”

In a genius move, Emma Watson explicitly states what feminism really is: a movement that advocates gender equality. Achieving equality won’t only help women, she points out it will help everyone, including men. And she wants everyone to join the fight for gender equality.

“Men, I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue, too.”

Feminists do not inherently hate men. If you thought you would get to sit on the fence for this whole speech, you were wrong. Emma is not going to let you. She knows that most people in her audience (digital or otherwise) are agreeing with her.  Watson tells us that her “ life is a sheer privilege” by recounting parents, teachers, and mentors who did not limit her on basis of gender.

Go watch that video. Look at that amazing graceful woman Emma Watson is. She is strong, and sensitive, and educated, and talented, and…. Okay I could go on. But on top of all her absolute perfection, she is a feminist. A proud one. And you know who made her into who she is today? Those other supportive, equality believing mentors.

“If you believe in equality, you might be one of those inadvertent feminists that I spoke of earlier, and for this, I applaud you.”

Congratulations, according to Emma Watson, you may be an inadvertent feminist. It is time to own up to the name. Yeah, the stigma sucks, but someone has to get in there and change it, or we will never be able to convey the real idea and ambition behind the feminist movement. As Emma says, “If not me, then who? If not now, then when?”

Watch Emma Watson’s full speech over here. Read the transcript of Watson’s full speech at the UN over here.