Emma Chorlton: Framing Formula UBC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Meet Emma Chorlton, a third year Engineering Physics (Mech) student and leader of the chassis Formula UBC sub-team. Formula UBC is a UBC Engineering student team that designs, builds and races a new open wheeled, formula style race car every year. Emma designed the car’s 2014 frame (pictured above), and has been helping new members get involved with their projects. 

How she got involved:

To be honest, I’m not really sure why I joined the team. One of my friends was encouraging me to join a design team for experience, but I wasn’t really sure what to join. I talked to Formula UBC during Imagine Day, and decided that it would be something worth trying. I honestly didn’t think that I would last longer than two weeks on the team because I was so intimidated! I ended up falling head over heels in love with the team and the project. I started off working on the drive train team and I was given more and more exciting projects, and haven’t been able to look back!

On how she ended up being an engineer:

Coming in [to UBC] I didn’t really know what engineering was all about, but I decided to try it out because my dad, an electrical engineer, was convinced that it was the degree for me. I became really involved in physics in high school, which pushed me towards an engineering or science degree. I’ve also always really enjoyed building and taking apart things which made me think that engineering may be my thing. Since coming into engineering, I have become much more enthusiastic about the field and could not imagine myself studying anything else.

Why she loves being a part of Formula UBC: 

I really could not imagine what I would have done without Formula. It gave me a taste of what engineering was like and kept me motivated to continue my studies. Course work seems much more relevant knowing that I can apply it to a project that I really enjoy. It’s a really great group of people, and everybody has a different background and a different set of skills – I think that’s one of my favorite parts about the team. If there is something that you want to learn or something that you need help with, there’s almost always somebody who will happily help you or point you in the right direction.

I think we also get a lot of really neat opportunities. To be able to have your projects realized is quite amazing. There’s no other way I would have been able to make a $3000 frame on my own! The FSAE (Formula Society of Automotive Engineers) community is also really neat. I haven’t had a chance to attend competitions yet, but I did attend a presentation by one of the competition’s design judges last year. At one point, we were gathered around a car with a bunch of other formula teams from other schools. Everybody was sharing their knowledge and experiences with one another and was genuinely stoked on their project. I just remember thinking to myself how cool this was. It was at that moment that I realized that its about so much more than just racecar, its everything along the way. From the people you meet, the mistakes you make, the first time you get to hold a part that you worked so hard on and the first time standing on the track when you hear the engine start up! It’s everything in between that really makes Formula UBC what it is.

A frame building in progress

On female involvement with the team:

I’m super happy to say that there are more women on the team this year!  I don’t really know why more girls don’t join. But to be honest I think that it is intimidating, especially if you don’t really consider yourself a car person. I know that my dad would always ask my little brother for help changing tires and never me, I guess I was never really exposed to cars growing up. I remember coming in and thinking that I would be completely useless on the team. I thought that I knew nothing, and if anything, I would drag the team down. But I soon realized that it’s okay to not know everything, and its okay to make mistakes. Everybody on the team is still learning, and nobody expects you to come in knowing how to do stuff. Being keen and trying your best goes a really long way, as cliché as it sounds. Not being afraid to ask questions and trying new things is how I ended up learning way more than I ever thought possible.

I have had an amazing experience on the team and I would encourage anyone (guy or gal!) to become involved with a design team. Even if you find out that its really not for you, that counts for something too! It’s really great to be able to show up at a job interview and be able to show the interviewer what you’ve been working on, its really helped me express my passion for engineering. I want to stress that its really important to try new things. Not knowing how to do something and feeling intimidated should never be an excuse. I didn’t even know how to pronounce chassis when I joined the team and I’ve come a far way from that!

What she’s looking to accomplish next at Formula UBC:

Before I graduate (so, by 2017) I would really like to see a carbon fibre monocoque done by the team. The team is getting better and better with composites. We now have a couple external sponsors helping us with our carbon fibre projects and I think that it is definitely something that we can accomplish. It would be very different than what we have done before, we always have had a chrome moly steel space frame.

Post-graduation plans?

I have no idea at this point! I originally thought that I would like to pursue a graduate degree in genetics or neurology. But since joining the team I have become more keen on engineering, I think I will probably pursue a career in aerospace. For now the plan is to take advantage of opportunities to see where I end up. You never know what you might end up loving!

The current Formula UBC team

Curious to learn more about the Formula UBC team? Check out their website and Facebook page!

Zafira is a fourth-year English Literature Major at the University of British Columbia and is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UBC. She grew up in sunny Kenya and now lives amongst the beaches and mountains that is beautiful British Columbia. She is thrilled to introduce Her Campus at UBC and build towards its strength in Canada! When she's not reading a book, she is usually wrestling with her hair and her umbrella under the constant torrents of rain in Vancouver, or can be seen with a yoga mat tucked under her arm, as Vancouverites do.