Early Music Vancouver Presents: Orfeo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Vancouver, BC – Early Music Vancouver (EMV) will be bringing to life Monteverdi’s tragic tale of love and loss “Orfeo” on October 29, 2017 at 3pm at the Chan Centre of the Performing Arts, so save the date because this is a show you most definitely won’t want to miss.

“Orfeo” is a historical masterpiece trailing the life of Orfeo, a Greek musician and demi-God on his quest to retrieve his beloved, Euridice, from Hades, and bring her back to life. It is a musical treasure that has been gone on to be described as a “game changer” in opera.

Stephen Stubbs, a Grammy award winner and Monteverdi specialist, will be bringing this classic myth to life alongside leading singers and musicians of Seattle’s Pacific MusicWorks. What’s more, Vancouver’s own Colin Balzer, an internationally celebrated tenor, will take the title role. Furthermore adding to the magnificence of this production will be San Francisco’s Dark Horse Consort, North America’s most respected 17th century wind ensemble.

Monteverdi’s “Orfeo” is brimming with “tuneful music, rich orchestration of exotic instruments, and exquisite writing for vocal ensemble with a compelling narrative, making it both entertaining, and emotionally compelling.”

Treat yourself to some tickets and indulge in a night full of culture, music, and wonder this October, HC UBC. You are sure to be inspired and delighted! 

Samantha is a third year UBC student majoring in Political Science. Samantha loves any kind of tea, drawing, reading, and traveling to new places. Her favourite thing to do is play with animals and write stories. One day, she hopes to have traveled to every continent.