Dangerous Skincare Ingredients To Watch Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

The use of synthetic chemicals in personal care products is more rampant today than ever before. With thousands of ingredients not being checked for their potential impact on human health and the environment, we’re exposing ourselves to more toxins than we may think. How much do we really know about the ingredients that lurk in our daily moisturizers, facial cleansers and shampoos? 

According to the David Suzuki Foundation, U.S researchers have revealed 10,500 of the chemicals found in personal care ingredients are industrial chemicals. This includes a lengthy list of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, reproductive toxics and carcinogens – yikes! Do you really want that slathered all over your face or dumped into the environment?

It seems that the presence of staggering loopholes existing in both Canadian and American laws are what allows chemical-ridden products to settle in our shelves. With our products not being entirely regulated by the government, we just don’t know enough about the long-term effects of these chemicals. It’s a warning not to take the words ‘researched’ and ‘tested’ to be one hundred per cent reliable!

All in all, fret not. Below, we’ve compiled a handy list of the harmful chemicals found in many products and their dangers. This will catapult you into top-tier investigatory mode the next time you go shopping! 

[pagebreak]

BHA and BHT – These are used as preservatives in lipsticks, moisturizers and other personal care items. They’re even in your food! Classified as possible carcinogens by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, they can’t be good for you.

Parabens – These preservatives will crop up on the ingredients list of numerous skin care products. They have been associated with complications such as infertility amongst men, hormone imbalance and early puberty. Astonishingly, despite the fact that traces of parabens was found in breast cancer tissues, there are no restrictions on their use in cosmetics in Canada. Watch out for this one!

DEA (Diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolemine), & TEA (Triethanolamine): Often used in industrial processes to scrub oil refineries, these chemicals are found in foaming products such as facial cleansers and shampoos. They easily penetrate our skin and have also been classified as a possible human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer. Definitely one to avoid!

Petrolatum plastics (propylene glycol and butylene glycol) – These can be found in various moisturizers and hair care products. Petrolatum can be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) – a chemical that has been linked to causing cancer. Its riskiness has even prompted the European Union to restrict its use in cosmetics!

Sodium-laureth sulfate: Another foam producer, SLS is very common in facial cleansers, shampoos, and shower gels – but it’s an irritant to our skin and eyes. It can also be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which has been associated with causing cancer – in addition to eye damage, depression, labored breathing, and diarrhea.

Triclosan: This is often used in antibacterial agents in cosmetics such as toothpastes, cleansers and antiperspirants. Easily absorbed by the skin, it has been classified as a ‘chlorophenol’ – a chemical also suspected of causing cancer in humans. It doesn’t degrade and tends to build up in the environment.

Phthalates: These are particularly found nail products and sometimes in fragrance ingredients. Smelling heavenly could come at the cost of kidney and liver damage, birth defects and early puberty!

Coal tar dyes: These are used extensively in cosmetics, containing heavy metal salts that deposit toxins into the skin. Studies have indicated that almost all coal tar colors are carcinogenic. 

While all of this might sound frightening, you can make changes to your daily care routine slowly. As consumers, we should be as aware of what’s in our products and perhaps even push the government to strengthen the laws governing cosmetics and personal care items – change starts with us!

Here’s a great website to help you sift through toxic ingredients and find safer alternatives!