jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Aquila Gopaul: Health and Wellness at UBC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

“Do you know UBC sells sex toys?”– Such comments reflect the inquisitive and colourful personality of my friend, Aquila Gopaul. The time she spent at the UBC Wellness Centre was the most frequently discussed topic in our conversations.

Having served as a Wellness Peer and Leader, she was always happy to disclose details when asked to elaborate her views on sexual health. A recent alumna holding a degree in Biology, Aquila has a wealth of knowledge about the human body, and often entertains our group of friends with dialogues about health.

What are the benefits of speaking to a Wellness Peer? Speaking to a knowledgeable peer is a good recourse to address our daily health concerns. Oftentimes, seeking advice from a doctor whose experience may not be relatable to ours seems daunting. Our sexuality is such a private and quiet part of us. Talking to a Wellness Peer eliminates the intimidating “doctor-patient” relationship and creates a welcoming and non-judgemental environment.

As a member of the sexual health outreach team, Aquila has previously set up card making booths to create a platform to discuss sex and relationships. She said, “Being in this space challenged me to think differently about my preconveived views. It taught me to help visitors by being genuinely curious and engaged in their stories.” By being an active listener, Aquila has managed to encourage others to think positively about sex. In addition, by distributing free condoms, she occasionally finds herself discussing proper protection and issues of consent.

Aquila highlights the takeaway message from it all: selling sex toys is not just about having sex, but shifting views about sexual taboos. It is about making positive sexual experiences available to everyone by emphasizing coordinated campus action. It is also important to reframe the politics that have previously impeded its availability.

Aquila says that her outreach projects generated a wide array of responses across campus. Students with diverse backgrounds approached her with different questions. For instance, an Engineering or Arts student may have different concerns than a student from Land and Food Systems with situated knowledge about nutrition. It is fulfilling to know that the outreach she does campus wide can have a larger impact than she anticipated.

Aquila added “As a Wellness Peer you never know how far your reach goes, or what to do best at the time for that person. The onus is on the student to look into the resources I gave him/her.”

The Wellness Centre provides opportunities for students to continually explore their mental concerns. Aquila has advised students beyond just fitness and nutrition, and has also addressed depression and time management. She likes to think of mental health not just in the form of meditation and exercising but also balancing social time and managing stress.

During her service at the Wellness Centre, Aquila witnessed responses to campus safety issues. The centre dealt with the aftermath of the UBC sexual assaults last fall by cooperating with different programs at UBC. Along with her team members, 5000 whistles were given out to students. Unique experiences like these not only made the centre a place to belong, but also inspired her to aid the community at large and pursue a career in medicine.

Asked to comment her experiences with some final words, Aquila describes her undergraduate degree in the analogy of painting a picture. “My academics were the black and white lines that determine the structure and shape of the painting, but my extra curricular experiences were the colours that gave it texture and vibrancy.”

Do you have questions about health? Visit the Wellness Centre at Irving K. Barber Learning Centre Room 183. Check out the website here for more information!