Why You Should See the Movie ‘Lady Bird’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Lady Bird 

This film is now nominated for 5 Academy Awards including Best Actress, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actress. This is definitely a movie you just have to watch. Here are just a few reasons why you should see Lady Bird to therefore understand why I and the rest of the world fell in love with it.  

1. The mother-daughter relationship 

The main relationship that Lady Bird focuses on is that of the relationship between Lady Bird and her mother, Marion. They don’t have the best relationship mainly because they have the same strong personality. However, they do have a deep love for one another. This movie perfectly captures a mother-daughter relationship and makes you have a greater appreciation for your mom and where you came from.  

2. The main character 

Lady Bird is portrayed by Saoirse Ronan who won a Golden Globe for this role and who is now nominated for an Academy Award for this role. Lady Bird is so outgoing and everything I wish that I had been in high school. She attends a Catholic high school on scholarship and has a hard-working mother, while her dad is searching for a job. Therefore, things don’t come easy for her family, but she dreams of going off to college on the east coast. Overall, Lady Bird is just such a strong-willed, complex character and Saoirse Ronan does a fantastic job portraying her. 

3. It’s so relatable  

When watching this film you are guaranteed to see yourself or someone else you know in one of these characters. This movie definitely struck a chord with me because I saw pieces of myself in Lady Bird and I saw bits of my mom in Lady Bird’s mom, etc. I just truly felt as if I could relate to each and every character in this movie.  

4. The ensemble 

The ensemble for Lady Bird is absolutely incredible. Beanie Feldstein plays Julie Steffans, who is Lady Bird’s best friend in the film. Beanie was recently in Hello Dolly! on Broadway and can also be seen in Neighbors 2. Beanie is also the sister of Jonah Hill. Lucas Hedges plays Danny O’Neill, who Lady Bird falls in love with. Last year, he was in the movie Manchester by the Sea and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Manchester by the Sea. Timothee Chalamet is an up and coming actor and definitely someone you need to keep an eye out for. He plays Kyle Scheible in Lady Bird, who is a little bit of a douche to Lady Bird. While being a part of the Oscar nominated Lady Bird, he is also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in the Academy Award nominated film Call Me By Your Name. 

There are definitely many more reasons you should go see Lady Bird, but first start off by watching the trailer and then you will understand. Watch this movie within the next two months and you’ll have something to root for when the Academy Awards premiere on March 4th