Why You Need a Book Club in Your Life (So, join ours!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

The older I get, the more I realize that there actually are purposes to different types of clubs. Things like book club, a sports club, or a sorority/fraternity. Now while I might like to think I don’t need to be in any club, the fact of the matter is that according to science, I do. The social interaction is so good for our brains that it can actually make us live longer!

So basically, this leaves me with one option: book club. Because tbh, I’m too lazy to be in a sports club, and I really don’t have any other hobbies or interests than books. I love to read, it’s a great escape from reality – and who doesn’t need that every once in a while?

SO! 5 Reasons You Need a Book Club in Your Life

1. Books are fun. This is pretty self-explanatory, let’s be real.
  2. Books make you smarter! The more you read, the more you’ll know, and the better you’ll feel! Plus, that next job interview you go to might just ask what your favorite book is. And who knows, maybe this time you won’t have to lie, because with a book club you’ll read different kinds of books and might just find one that you like!
  3. Book nerds are the best. Like you want to talk about people who are fun to be around? It’s like Disney, except you’re not just limited to the movies that Disney has made. It could literally be anything! Harry Potter, Mortal Instruments, Divergence, you name it. There are a billion different fandoms out there that are just drooling at the thought of adding another one to their ever growing militia. Not to mention the fact that you can be a part of as many fandoms as you want, and there’s totally no judgment. Dress up like “Fantasy Guy” from HIMYM, for all we care. We might even join you.
  4. Even if you’re not a nerd, you can still come hang out with us and have a great time talking about a book that you’ve read. No judgment. You’re just totally missing out on some extra fun.
  5. You’ll live longer! If nothing else, a great reason to join a book club is that it can help you live longer. The social experience of having a group of people that you regularly meet with can help you live longer! It’s a scientific fact. So even if you don’t like to read, but you just can’t seem to find another club that even sparks your interest, there’s a good enough reason right there!

And 6, the UAB Hercampus is starting their own book club, and we’re the funnest people around! If you come to our next meeting, you can hear all about the book that we are reading over the Christmas break and help plan (or just attend) our first meeting! Even if you don’t read the book and just end up reading the summary on Wikipedia, you are more than welcome to come hang out with us! We would love to have you!

#bookdragons unite!

I'm a lover of all things furry, anything medical, working out, and writing.
HCUAB