Why is “Mean Girls” Such A Popular Chick Flick?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Jordan JaDella Smith 

Mean Girls is a popular teen film that was released in 2004 and easily became one of the greatest chick flicks of all times, or a cult-status classic as some would say. The popular movie reveals the social rules that teenage girls face today, a spice and hint of pop culture and satire, and balance of truth and humor. 

Mean Girls begins with teenage Cady Heron and her explorer parents who return to the United States after a long twelve-year research trip. Heron and her parents find their beloved home in Illinois and her new high school North Shore High School. There at North Shore she experiences her first public school experience while meeting Janis and Damian who educate her on the school’s history, different locations, and most importantly the school’s various cliques which are the freshman, ROTC Guys, JV Jocks, Asian Nerds, Cool Asians, Varsity Jokes, Unfriendly Black Hotties, Girls Who Eat With Their Feelings, Girls Who Don’t Eat Anything, Desperate Wannabes, Burnouts, Sexually Active Band Geeks, and most importantly the famous Plastics. Although Janis and Damian warn Cady to beware of the Plastics, the Plastics take an interest in Cady and invite her to sit with them at lunch. Once Janis finds out of such, she takes advantage of the situation and Cady and plans a real devious plan to get revenge against Regina, one of the Plastics, from her past experiences. Cady learns about The Plastic’s “Burn Book” filled with awful rumors, secrets, and insults about every girl in the school and teachers too. Although Cady doesn’t want to stick to Janis evil plan, she unexpectedly does. She finds her self-becoming attracted to Regina’s ex-boyfriend, makes Regina gain weight with “nutrition bars”, and turns the rest of the Plastics against Regina. Regina becomes aware of Cady’s spiteful behavior and exposes her. The movie definitely takes a turn here. I won’t spoil the movie for those of you who have not seen this juicy classic.

Mean Girls features so many iconic scenes and quotes that speak to all teens no matter the age. From the scene in the cafeteria describing all of the cliques, to “you can’t sit with us”, “she doesn’t even go here”, “on Wednesdays we wear pink”, “it’s October 3rd”, or “you go, Glen Coco!” 

Each scene and memorable quote can easily be paralleled to a teenage experience. Mean Girls is a popular chick flick because it is relatable, there is no hero, everyone is trying to survive the jungle of high school, and in the end, no matter how hurt Regina or Cady was every girl was affected but also committed the same crime to someone else. The movie is true in that it reflects the hierarchy of high school cliques, bullying does exist, and how popularity in high school ultimately dissolves. Mean Girls is a great cultural movie that millennials can share with many generations. If you haven’t seen this movie, what are you waiting for? 

HCUAB