Why Everyone Should Incorporate Rose Water Into Their Skincare Regimen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

People have been using rose water on their skin since ancient Egyptian times… and for good reason. There are dozens of benefits of rose water that can be useful for any skin type. Rose water is a versatile product that is made by steam-distilling the crushed petals of roses. It’s a good ingredient to look for in skincare products, but I prefer to just buy rose water itself to use in several different ways. Spritzing this serum on my face throughout the day is my favorite pick-me-up and I also use it to set my makeup and get rid of that powdery look.

Some of the benefits of rose water include:

1)      PH balancing

The natural PH of our skin is slightly more acidic at about 5.5. However, many of the ingredients in soap are more basic and can alter the PH of our skin. There’s no need to fear, though, because when a product has rose water in it, the rose water works at rebalancing our PH levels. In effect, it can also help control excess oils.

2)      Hydrating

Rose water is wonderful for moisturizing and hydrating the skin. Whenever your skin feels dry and dull, a quick spritz will leave your skin feeling a lot more smooth and supple.

3)      Antibacterial properties

Because of its’ antibacterial properties, rose water is great at cleansing the skin and healing scars. For these reasons, it is a beneficial product for those of us trying to fight acne or acne scars.

4)      Full of antioxidants

Antioxidants aid in regenerating skin cells and reduce inflammation of the skin. These properties help minimize redness in the skin, clear up acne, and fight aging. Rose water is a great anti-aging product because it prevents or diminishes fine lines and wrinkles.

Rose water basically hits the gold mine of everything you could ever want out of a skincare product. It’s good for dry skin, oily skin, sensitive skin, aging skin, and everything in between. If you are feeling bored with your skin care routine or just want to try something new, you can’t go wrong with rose water. The least it can do is leave your skin looking radiant and beautiful.

That being said, no matter what your skin type is, you are beautiful and you should embrace that. Everyone’s skin is different and we all have our own issues to deal with. There is no quick fix for any skin problem, but rose water is just a nice way to pamper yourself and show your skin some love. If you do decide to try rose water, you could start to see all these benefits in action!