Who Are You Rooting For At This Year’s Grammy Awards?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Grammy week is arguably one of the most eventful weeks in Los Angeles. The week is filled with events ranging from nominee receptions, panel discussions, and showcases to your over the top celebrity parties. Most of today’s top artists and even some of the old greats will be in L.A. celebrating the 61st Annual Grammy Awards. The Grammy’s are watched by millions of people all over the world in anticipation of seeing who slays the red carpet, rocks the stage, and walks away on top. 

Kendrick Lamar currently leads the pack with eight nominations for this year’s awards. Drake follows close behind with seven. According to Billboard.com, there are 12 artists who could earn their first Grammy this Sunday. Among those are SZA, Cardi B, Ariana Grande, J.Cole, and the late Mac Miller. 

Who will you be rooting for this year? 

Here’s an overview of the top categories and nominees for the 2019 Grammy’s.

Record Of The Year

“I Like It” Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin

“The Joke” Brandi Carlile

“This Is America” Childish Gambino

“God’s Plan” Drake

“Shallow” Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

“All The Stars” Kendrick Lamar & SZA

“Rockstar” Post Malone & 21 Savage

“The Middle”  Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey

Album Of The Year

Invasion Of Privacy Cardi B

By The Way, I Forgive You Brandi Carlile

Scorpion Drake

H.E.R. H.E.R.

Beerbongs & Bentley’s  Post Malone

Dirty Computer Janelle Monáe

Golden Hour Kacey Musgraves

Black Panther: The Album (Various Artists)  

Song Of The Year

“All The Stars” Kendrick Duckworth, Solána Rowe, Al Shuckburgh, Mark Spears & Anthony Tiffith, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar & SZA)  

“Boo’d Up” Larrance Dopson, Joelle James, Ella Mai & Dijon McFarlane, songwriters (Ella Mai)  

“God’s Plan” Aubrey Graham, Daveon Jackson, Brock Korsan, Ron LaTour, Matthew Samuels & Noah Shebib, songwriters (Drake)  

“In My Blood” Teddy Geiger, Scott Harris, Shawn Mendes & Geoffrey Warburton, songwriters (Shawn Mendes)  

“The Joke” Brandi Carlile, Dave Cobb, Phil Hanseroth & Tim Hanseroth, songwriters (Brandi Carlile)  

“The Middle” Sarah Aarons, Jordan K. Johnson, Stefan Johnson, Marcus Lomax, Kyle Trewartha, Michael Trewartha & Anton Zaslavski, songwriters (Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey)  

“Shallow” Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando & Andrew Wyatt, songwriters (Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper)  

“This Is America” Donald Glover, Ludwig Goransson & Jeffery Lamar Williams, songwriters (Childish Gambino)

Best New Artist

Chloe x Halle

Luke Combs

Greta Van Fleet

H.E.R.

Dua Lipa

Margo Price

Bebe Rexha

Jorja Smith 

The full list of categories and nominees can be found on the official Grammy website. You can tune in to the 61st Annual Grammy Awards this Sunday, Feb. 10 on CBS at 7 p.m. CST. 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.