This Is Us Season 2 Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

You may or may not know about the show This Is Us that stole America’s heart last year with its 70 million trailer views and Season 1 premiere on September 20, 2016. However, if you don’t know about this show already or you’ve never seen it, now’s definitely the time to watch it. This Is Us is definitely one of the most well-written and heart wrenching shows of our generation. With that being said, Season 2 premiered this Tuesday on NBC and like the loyal fan I am I ordered a pizza, got my tissues ready, and sat down to watch the premiere in my dorm. It began with “the big three’s” 37th birthday which I found incredibly special considering Season 1 begin with their 36th birthday. In true This Is Us fashion, I was left a crying mess by the end of the episode. Here are just a few of the emotions that probably everyone felt and experienced while watching the Season 2 premiere of This Is Us 

Sadness

When Jack and Rebecca have problems, we all have problems. Seeing Jack and Rebecca on thin ice was not comforting whatsoever. In a way, we were all expecting the episode to begin like this due to the huge fight these two had on the last episode of Season 1, but it still was sad to watch. When Jack and Rebecca told the triplets that they were going to be taking a break for a little bit, I felt for them. 

Happiness 

It was so great to see “The Big Three” back in action on their birthday. With Kate and Kevin back in California and Randall in New Jersey with his family, I felt like I was home again.   

Frustration

When Kate left her audition out of nervousness because of what everyone around her looked like, I was aggravated. However, I was thankful that by the end of the episode she found the courage to go back. Even though she didn’t get the gig, I was glad that Kate put her fears behind her and went for it.

Satisfaction

When Beth gives William’s poetry book for Randall back to Randall, I was so happy. Knowing that William wasn’t going to not be a part of the show anymore just because of his death last season made me so happy and satisfied. William’s influence on Randall and the whole Pearson clan will definitely last forever. 

Surprise

When Sophie surprised Kevin for his birthday, I too was surprised. I love Kevin and Sophie together and I was so glad that since Kate had Toby and Randall had Beth, that Kevin also got to have Sophie with him for his birthday.  

Heartbroken

Jack and Rebecca’s marriage will always be goals. Whenever she dismissed him admitting his drinking problem to her and said that they would work through it together, I was in tears. Then when they showed young Kate and Randall crying over Jack’s death, I knew something was about to happen, but I didn’t know it was going to be that tragic… Now we know that Jack dies in a house fire… Seeing Rebecca break down at the end was completely heartbreaking. I was sobbing just from knowing how he dies and I can’t even imagine how I’m going to be when the episode comes where we actually see Jack dying.  

Overall, this episode was incredible and I’m so ecstatic that this wonderful show is back.