UAB Dance Marathon (DM)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Do you love kids? Want to find a philanthropic way to support them at UAB? Look no further! Read below for a great opportunity here on campus:

Dance Marathon is the most philanthropic cause around! It started in 1991 at Indiana University in memory of a student named Ryan who died from HIV/AIDS through a tainted blood infusion. Since then, it has gone around the country raising money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Here at UAB, we raise money specifically for Children’s of Alabama- which is right across the street!

We work directly with Children’s in order to create programming throughout the school year, which concludes with an 8- hour Dance Marathon in the ballrooms of the Hill Student Center. 100% of all proceeds that we get go directly to Children’s of Alabama in order to treat as many children who come into the door as possible.

We work with organizations on campus including Greek life (every council) and other RSOs like HerCampus so we can touch as many people’s lives as possible. We want to give a voice for the voiceless and we stand for those who can’t!

Additionally, it is a co-ed organization that anyone can join regardless of class, school or major! We truly have a place for everyone on our team! If dancing isn’t your thing, we have PR and Marketing Committee, Fundraising Committee, Hospital Relations Committee and more!

To get involved you can follow us on our engage page (https://uab.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/uabdm) or on our social media pages (ig: UAB_DM and fb: UAB Dance Marathon). If you do want to be a committee member for UABDM you can fill out the application on the Engage page! If you just want to donate you can fill out a Donor Drive page to donate throughout the year! (https://events.dancemarathon.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.event&e…)

As we say in DM “bad dancing saves lives” and it truly means the world to kids who are in the hospital to know that people are dancing for them!