freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Twitter Poll: Is a Break Just a Break-up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

There may come a time in your relationship where you’re unsure as to whether you should take a break or not. People have varying opinions on the concept of taking a break from your significant other. We took to Twitter and asked, “Do you believe in taking breaks in your relationship?” We got a number of responses, a large majority stating that a break is just a break-up. They would prefer to end the relationship right then and there.

“Adults don’t take breaks”.

Those who felt that breaks are just a prerequisites to a break-up believe that a break can mean that you want to explore your options. Therefore, if you’re thinking about seeing other people, then you might as well not be with me. One person tweeted, “Adults don’t take breaks”. In your college experience and introduction to the world of adulting, breaks aren’t really a thing. Sleep. Work. Class. Life gets hectic, and we aren’t always offered a break. This person is coming from the point that if there’s an issue or concern, you just have to deal with it.

“It depends”.

We found that on the opposing side there were implications to agreeing to take a break. Those who felt like breaks are okay to take feel that it depends on the situation. It depends on the length of the break, and what’s expected to be gained over the break. How are things supposed to improve? Do we plan on being in contact? Are we going to see other people? It’s important when deciding to take break to talk about these things. If you aren’t on one accord about seeing other people, then things could get messy leading to the ultimate demise of your relationship. 

“Breaks allow time for growth”.

One person said, “Breaks give people time to get their sh*t together and mature”. If you need some time alone and don’t want to leave forever, then perhaps a break is needed. People felt that if you weren’t sure what you wanted or if you wanted to explore your options without cheating, then a break is appropriate. Taking a break from your partner will allow you realize if you want to be them or if “you’re good,” according to one tweeter, “It’s necessary sometimes”. 

“Is it unfair for me to say I want to take a break and work on myself and still expect him to want me after?”

It isn’t unfair to decide that you want to progress yourself. However, it is unfair to yourself if you put your progression on hold because you’re not sure if he is going to stick around. It depends on the break time, and it depends on him. If you’re putting him on break for a long period of time, then yes. He should not feel obligated to you. I believe if the break time is short, and if it’s real love, then he should support you bettering yourself and still want you. Taking a break requires you to consider if the relationship is a maybe thing or for sure thing. 

Kryshonna is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in marketing. She is passionate about food, creating, and finding small ways to be happy. When she isn't acting as the Campus Correspondent, she can be found catching dinner with friends, wandering around Birmingham, or catching up on Youtube. She has a new found love for the color baby pink along with a number of other things including: working out, boba tea, and fuzzy things. For inspiration and fashion posts, you can follow her on Instagram @kokokrys.  Schedule Schedule
A work in progress.