This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

I’m sure by now you’ve caught news of Donald Trump’s vulgar statements about women all over the internet. In 2005, he had a conversation on the set of Access Hollywood about Arianne Zucker. The comments I’ve taken away from this clip are, “I just kiss. I don’t even wait,” and “Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything”. The problem with these comments is Trump’s complete disregard of consent and complete disregard for a woman’s body as her own.

Many conservatives are pointing at pictures of female celebrities seen grabbing their crotch. Their argument is that these women are doing it to themselves, so why does it matter. They also argue that these women are bad role models to children and “ruining the country”.

My thoughts: OKAY, SO?

First, it’s their body. If I grab my own tit, it does not give you permission to do the same. It’s called consent. Consent is “permission for something to happen or agreement to do something”. Sex is not sex without it. Just because you have money, just because you’re a man, and just because you’re White does not mean that you can do what you want when you want, Donald. You are not exempt from consent. No one is.

Secondly, what you see with these women is sexual expression. It’s not the same as sexual assault. Period. Rihanna is not running for president, so why should her actions be compared to those like Clinton or Trump. She’s a music artist who’s perceived to be sexually attractive by both men and women. She’s not trying to run the country nor necessarily be a mentor to little Susie.

Lastly, what’s ruining the country (along with a number of other thing) is Trump, and his crazed supporters.

Schedule

Kryshonna is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in marketing. She is passionate about food, creating, and finding small ways to be happy. When she isn't acting as the Campus Correspondent, she can be found catching dinner with friends, wandering around Birmingham, or catching up on Youtube. She has a new found love for the color baby pink along with a number of other things including: working out, boba tea, and fuzzy things. For inspiration and fashion posts, you can follow her on Instagram @kokokrys.  Schedule Schedule