Tallulah Designs Combines Fashion and Function

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Recently, I went to the Tallulah’s Designs One Year Anniversary Trunk Show at City Arts Boutique. It showcased Montgomery-native designer Heather William’s pieces for late summer and fall. The event was totally chic, complete with a popup bar with a mixologist serving up cocktails, appropriately named “The Tallulah” and “The Seam Ripper”, respectively. The designer was so southern and sweet, but don’t underestimate her. She was the recipient of the “Regions 2011 New Venture Challenge”, and since its opening in 2011, the Tallulah’s Designs brand is carried in three retailers in two Southern states and has participated in countless fashion events including New Orleans Fashion Week and Birmingham Fashion Week. However, what impresed me the most about Tallulah Designs was the fact that they partner with communities in Africa and use reclaimed materials to make stunning garments. So, to summarize Tallulah’s pieces in a Cliff Note’s version, they reflect traditional, Southern silhouettes with an international flair.

The designer was nice enough to answer a few questions for us:

HC: You were a college fashionista. How did you stay chic on a college budget? 
HW: When I was in college, I bought tons of dresses from Forever 21, Francesca’s, on sale at Anthropologie and would pair them with sandals in the summer, cowboy boots in the winter, or throw a cardigan on it. I was on a budget, so I’d wear the same dress ten different ways from season to season. 

HC: Where did you get the name (Tallulah) for your line?
HW: It means leaping waters, it’s Native American. It best represents the girl who would wear my clothes. She’s fun, she’s effervescent, so it fits.

HC: How did you get started in the fashion industry?
HW: When I was a little girl my mom taught me how to sew (side note: Heather’s mom is her biggest fan, she was at the event and made little hor d’oeuvres to compliment the cocktails. So precious!) and in college I started making little clutches and jewelry, and people loved it. It just kind of went from there! 

HC: Tell us a little about your partnership with fair trade and women in Africa?
HW: We’re not fair trade yet, but we’re trying to launch a line next year called “Remnant” to partner withpeople in Africa. A lot of our summer line is made from African fabrics. I’ve always had a heart for them, there are a lot of women who love to sew and make crafts, but there’s no economy there to do it. 

HC: Trend forcast for us a little bit, what’s in the fashionable future for fall?
HW: For Fall, there’s going to be a lot of navy, teals, and cream. 

HC: Do you have any advice for one of our readers who may want to launch their own fashion line?
HW: Work very, very hard. Every single day, try to make something. Just keep practicing!

:
Tallulah Designer, Heather Williams and I bonded over our love of tribal prints and statement jewelry.

The resident mixologist showing me how to make a “Tallulah”
(It’s bourbon, lemonade, and a splash of coke, FYI)

Racks upon racks of beautiful garments.

One of Tallulah’s newest pieces-Perfect for everything from tailgates to cocktail parties, might I add!

More about Tallulah’s Designs:
Like them on Facebook
Twitter: @tallulahfaire
Website: tallulahfaire.com

You can find Tallulah’s Designs in the following stores:

BIRMINGHAM:
Molly Green Boutique 

City Arts Boutique

NEW ORLEANS:
Hattie Sparks

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.