Start Your Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

It is the beginning of the new semester, so now it is time to get rid of that holiday laziness and trade it in for a can-do attitude. If you are struggling with making that transition, follow the below steps to start your semester off right!

1. Organize Your Files

Being organized is one of the keys to success. Before classes begin, organize the files on your laptop so that your documents can be easily found. Decluttering your desktop will give you the idea of a fresh, new start. Create new folders for your classes and put your syllabi in their respective folders. Now that your laptop/computer is organized and you have folders dedicated to your classes, you are on the right track to having a successful semester!

2. Look Over the Syllabi

By reviewing the syllabi, you will be able to determine if the courses you registered for are the correct fits for you. Two tests a semester and heavy group work may be class dynamics that just don’t fit your preferences as a student. Aside from identifying the class structures, you should also review the syllabi to learn your professors’ suggestions as far as textbooks and course materials go.

3. Contact Your Professors, Former Students

By contacting your professors, you will be establishing positive relationships before the semester begins. You are able to determine expectations and various ways that you should prepare for the course by contacting the professor. Also, contacting former students will give you an edge on others since you will have the “inside info” that will help you succeed.

4. Plan Your Weekly Schedule

By planning out your weekly schedule, you will surely set yourself up for success. Look at previous semesters and consider some things that you wish you had done differently. Did you spend too much time socializing and not enough time studying? Plan out your schedule, now, so that you will have allotted time for the things that matter most for you. Are you trying to workout more? Schedule your workout sessions so that they fit your class and work schedules. Doing this will allow you to start a routine before you encounter the craziness of the semester.

5. Contact Your Advisor

Contact your advisor to ensure that you are registered for the appropriate courses and that your schedule will work for you. Your advisor will also be able to inform you on future opportunities, so it will always be to your benefit to be in contact with your advisor.

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!