This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Oily skin can be caused by numerous different things. As someone who suffers from oily skin as well, I finally found the perfect routine to combat and prevent shininess throughout the day.

Here’s my step by step guide to prevent oily skin:

Step 1: Cleanse

In the morning, you should ALWAYS start with your cleanser. I recommend using a spin brush to help clean out those pores. Use a cleanser that works best for you. I stick to purchasing cleansers that contains baking soda and/or charcoal. 

Step 2:  Exfoliate

Exfoliating is a great way to remove any small bumps on your face. You want your exfoliator to be tough enough to feel a difference but gentle enough not to irritate your skin. Recommend anything with Glycolic acid.

Step 3: Tone

This step is optional depending on if you have sensitive skin. Toning helps close and tightens your pores. It also helps remove any stubborn dirt, excess oils and makeup. My favorite toners are witch hazel, rose water and aloe vera.

Step 4: Moisturize

Dealing with oily skin, you want to pick a light moisturizer that doesn’t add a lot oils back onto our freshly cleaned skin. You want to find something that allows your skin to breath. I recommend Mario Badescu Control Moisturizer for Oily Skin and Clean & Clear Essentials Dual Action Moisturizer.

Last but not least, apply your makeup for the day!

HCUAB