Simple Life Hacks You Didn’t Know You Needed!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Let’s face it. Sometimes life gets tricky. There are times when we all find ourselves looking for ways to make things easier without having to break the bank. Here are six life hacks that I have found useful when I least expected it.

1. Using straws to organize necklaces.

This is a hack I came across while moving out of my dorm. During the semester I had my necklaces hung using command hooks, but when it was time to leave I wanted to make sure they didn’t get tangled. After a quick Google search for tips, I decided to use straws to keep my necklaces separated. I already had a box of straws in my kitchen that I used for regular drinking. For this hack, all you have to do is unhook your necklace, place the chain through the straw and then reattach. You might have to cut the straw a little, but that’s not as much of a hassle as untangle a bag full of necklaces. 

2. Micellar water as shoe cleaner.

Okay. I know that Micellar water can be a bit pricey, but it works as an amazing shoe cleaner! If you’re like me and you love sneakers, then you probably want to keep them looking as nice as possible. I’ve used other household cleaners to clean my shoes, but Micellar water was by far the simplest. Just squeeze a little on a cotton round and start wiping! All the scuffs will come off instantly. If you’re in a pinch I definitely recommend giving this one a go! 

3. Aluminum foil as a dryer sheet.

I learned this hack from my mom. If you run out of dryer sheets and you don’t want your laundry to have static, use a piece of aluminum foil! All you have to do is take a piece of aluminum foil from your kitchen and crush it into a ball. Toss it into the dryer with your clothes and it’s done! The best part is you can use the foil ball more than once. It may not give your clothes the fresh floral scent you’re used to, but at least the clothes won’t have static! 

4. Earrings as cute safety pins.

I always find myself looking for safety pins. In fact, I recently just bought a pack when I came across them in the dollar store. Before then, I would use an earring to hold deep cut tops together. This is a super cute hack because the earring can look like a button on your blouse instead of the typical safety pin. 

There are so many ways to make use of things you already have. The next time you’re in a rut, try to think of some creative ways to use what you have on hand! You might be surprised at what works. 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.