This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Although the srat life isn’t for everyone, many people rule out greek life because of the stereotypes that surround them. The media portrays sorority women in an extremely negative light and I know that I believed many of the rumors when I came to UAB’s campus. Unfortunately, many of these rumors aren’t true and people forget about the real reason sororities were created in the first place… Sororities were meant to be a body of collegiate women who come together to better each other in academic and social aspects. In a time when college was a completely male-dominated place, women needed a place to call their home. They found a home in each other and this is how soroities came to be. Today, colleges are much more diverse, but that doesn’t change the fact that we, as women, need each other to feel empowered. I encourage everyone in college to research greek life at their campus and see if it could be the right fit for them.

Here are seven reasons why joining a sorority is one of the best decisions I’ve made during my time at college:

1. Giving back to my community

Sororities emphasize philanthropy and they usually have a specific philanthropy that they dedicate most of their time to. Finding a philanthropy that you believe in will make all the difference.

2. Leadership Opportunities

A sorority doesn’t run on its own! Whether you like to work behind the scenes or in front of an audience, there will always be a position that is the best fit for you.

3. Unexpected Friendships

During your time eating, napping, or going out with the other hundred girls in your sorority, you will often click with someone you thought you had nothing in common with.

4. Networking opportunities

Joining a sorority gives you access to all of the alumni members in your area, across the country, and across the world!

5. Campus Involvement

Within a sorority, you have girls in many different organizations on campus, so finding a friend there will always be easy!

6. Social Events

Sometimes it’s just nice to have a night off with the girls you love the most. The great thing about a sorority is that they’ve already planned everything, you just have to show up and enjoy!

7. T-Shirts

Thousands of cute Comfort Colors t-shirts… need I say more?

5 Facts About Me: My personal motto is "Que sera, sera". I try to defend the silver lining at all costs. I love my mom and my sorority. I am fashion-obsessed with a slight online shopping addiction. I am currently surviving on chocolate and coffee. Follow me @samramic and @college.catwalk
HCUAB