Pros and Cons of Having Curly Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

It’s natural to have a love/hate relationship with your hair and curly-haired girls know that struggle all too well. Here are some things that I love and hate about my curly hair…

The Not So Good Stuff

• Brushing my hair out and having it grow 5 sizes
  • Spending hundreds of dollars on hair product (specifically conditioner)
  • Going swimming causes anxiety because tangles!!
  • My hair keeps its’ shape (after a long car ride, a nap, …)
  • Washing my hair to line up with social events (as if I don’t have enough in my planner already)
  • Never knowing whether I’m going to have a good or bad hair day
  • Many hair stylists don’t know how to cut curly hair
  • Breaking combs doesn’t faze me anymore

The Good Stuff

• I don’t have to wash my hair everyday
  • Having a straight-haired alter ego
  • Being the least tender-headed person in my friend group
  • Becoming instant best friends with other curly-haired girls because they know my struggle
  • Finding the perfect product that makes my hair the perfect balance of voluminous and bouncy
  • My hair can distract people from my bummy outfit of the day
  • My hair is pretty much a metaphor for my life: usually wild and free, sometimes tame, but always natural

Once you finally accept your hair (straight, curly, or somewhere in-between) your relationship with it will become nourishing. It’s what we were given so all we can do is make the most of it!

5 Facts About Me: My personal motto is "Que sera, sera". I try to defend the silver lining at all costs. I love my mom and my sorority. I am fashion-obsessed with a slight online shopping addiction. I am currently surviving on chocolate and coffee. Follow me @samramic and @college.catwalk
HCUAB