Movie to Broadway Adaptations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Instead of original musicals, this year on Broadway has marked a rise in adaptations.  The major movie to musical adaptations that hit Broadway this season were Frozen and most recently, Mean Girls. If you find yourself in New York City this summer, go check out these two musicals. 

Mean Girls 

With a book by Tina Fey and music and lyrics by Jeff Richmond and Nell Benjamin, this musical is an adaptation of the 2004 classic movie, Mean Girls. While the story of the plastics and Cady stays true to the movie, this musical takes place 14 years after the movie and it is therefore updated to fit into the current technological era. Starring Taylor Louderman as queen bee Regina George and Erika Henningsen as the newcomer Cady Heron, this is a musical you don’t want to miss. P.S. the original cast album comes out on May 18 so check it out and see if it makes fetch happen. 

Frozen 

When Frozen hit theaters in 2013, everyone fell in love with the story of two sisters who find strength in each other. After the movie achieved such great success there were talks of it going to Broadway, but nobody ever thought it would actually happen. Now Frozen is taking Broadway by storm, literally because there has to be some sort of correlation between Frozen being on Broadway and all the snow storms in NYC. Starring Patti Murin as Anna and Caissie Levy as Elsa this musical still has all your favorite songs from the movie with a few new additions that you’ll adore. If you loved the movie you have to go see the magical Arendelle come to life at the St. James Theatre.