Low-Budget Alternatives for Social Gatherings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

The holidays are over with, as are most of the tempting sales, so it’s time to be more budget conscious. We saved for the holidays and now we must save for Spring Break, so follow the below suggestions if you’re looking for some things to do with your friends that won’t break the bank.

Bake at Home (or Your Dorm)

Buying sweets can definitely add up! Invite your friends over, instead, and have everyone bring an ingredient. Bake brownies or cookies… or even have an ice cream party! There’s no better way to bond than being surrounded by good people and good food (and not stressing over money!).

Go Hiking

If you care about your friends, you care about their health. Look for ways that you and your friends can get active… it’s inexpensive and can be a lot of fun. If you like hiking, biking, going for runs, those are all ways that you can get involved with your friends. Show your friends your preferred form of exercise and allow them to teach you how they like to stay active.

Have a Spa Day

We can all use some relaxation, so why not enjoy an in-house spa day with your friends? You can make your own natural masks or use pre-made ones! Soak your feet and paint one another’s nails. Of course, you can’t forget hair treatments. Raid your kitchen for things like avocadoes, mayonnaise, eggs, and honey to whip up a natural mixture that will leave your hair and nails looking and feeling fabulous.  

Watch a Movie

Stay in and have a movie night… if you’re not exactly a tv/movie person, binge watch YouTube videos! Bring out your old, favorite DVDs and experience a walk down memory lane. It will be a blast… and cheap! What’s better?!

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!