This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Let’s be real, ladies, we are all fabulous and don’t need a man to fulfill our lives. Butttt, every once in a while, we all hit a dry spell in which we long for a significant other. Although cuffing season might be winding down, that doesn’t mean that we should discard the idea of a relationship. So here are a few ways to keep an open mind and remain optimistic, rather than lying in bed and crying while watching rom-coms and eating ice cream all night. 

• Believe in yourself! Because of the standards formed by our society, many women have issues with their appearances, and that is 100% bullsh*t. Wear whatever makes you feel good, put on all the makeup that you want (and vice versa); just do whatever you need to feel comfortable and confident that you ARE beautiful. As I said earlier, you don’t need a man, but if you’re wanting to find a guy who appreciates your greatness, then having confidence radiates. 

• Don’t be afraid to make the first move. Once you’ve realized how wonderful you are, and you find someone who might be worthy, don’t be afraid to make the first move. I know it can be scary, but sometimes the person you’re crushing on is just as scared. Plus, we aren’t in middle school anymore; don’t waste your time playing games with someone who you know you have a connection with. Just go for it!

• Be open to all possibilities. This can be a little scary, but you have to leave your dorm to meet someone (trust me, I’ve struggled with this realization). This means going out with friends on the weekends when you would normally stay in and binge watch the new season of The Bachelor. If you’re really seeking someone, then try out an app like Bumble or Tinder. Even if you get nothing out of it, you will at least have a fun time swiping through and seeing who’s on the app. 

• Be yourself! When you do start talking to people, be yourself from the start. Don’t try to change your personality just so you can spend time with a gross boy because the odds are that there is someone who will be much more compatible for you- someone that you can be yourself around. 

• Be patient, and open minded. If one doesn’t work out, then keep trying! Never get discouraged because the right one WILL come, and when they do, you will be so thankful that you got away from all the lame others.