element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

To the girl who couldn’t,

I can’t either… and that’s okay. I’ve decided that’s just not me, at least not anymore. Have you ever heard someone speak about their significant other and use the words

“I knew I was going to marry them the moment I met them.”

You have? Yeah me to. Especially from my own parents. So growing up hearing that over and over again, I wanted that. I thought that when I found my “One True Love” or “Soulmate” it would be SO easy. The stars would align and it would be love at first sight. Boy has that not been farther from the truth. I’ve never been able to say “I knew from the very beginning this person was the one.” I think that is something my first heartbreak took away from me. I didn’t feel that way with that person, but I still believed in the fairytale love. But now I know that love is real, messy, and far from perfect because people aren’t perfect. I’m okay with that. I see now that it’s better to not place this idea of love or even people on a pedestal. So as I’m in my relationship now, I opened up to him the other day about this very thing. It’s not something I can give him. That “know.” I believe with all my heart that we will eventually be married. However, when we first met in Jr. High and then dated people throughout the years before we made the swap from friends to more, I can’t say from the very moment we laid eyes on each other that we knew. Everyone’s story is different. I think that is important to grasp on to. I believe in failures, you have to fail to learn and to grow. So if you’re in a relationship now and maybe you’ve broken up and gotten back together…  a few times, know that this could still very will be your love story. In it’s own messy way. Learn to love raw and real, be okay with not having a God-given sign. Be okay with your little adventure with the person you love.

Junior at UAB! Mass Communications Major concentrating in Public Relations and obtaining an Art Studio Minor in Graphic Design.