This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Turning 21 is probably one of the most fun ages to turn. The only not so exciting thing is that now you have to start getting the much dreaded pap smear. Now, it’s not as bad as it may sound. My first experience ,for example, wasn’t all that bad. Even though I didn’t walk in thinking that I was going to get one, my gynecologist made the experience so much more pleasant and nothing like the horror stories you may have heard. However, not everyone’s first time is filled with sunshine and roses, so here are a few tips to get through it. 

1. Be comfortable with your Gynecologist

Not saying that you guys have to be best friends, but at least being comfortable with your doctor will make the experience a lot less intimidating.

2. Shave Before

Like any other gynecology appointment, it’s always a good idea to shave that area before going.

3. Having a Positive Mindset

Going into your appointment freaking out isn’t going to help anything. Try to relax and just remember that it’ll be over before you know it.

4. Plan Something Fun To Do Afterwards 

For me I had to go back to work afterwards, so that wasn’t too enjoyable. But, plan a lunch with your bestie, go buy yourself ice cream, or even going to take a nap are all things you could do. That way you can have something else to think about other than just the fact that your getting a pap smear that day. 

5. Know that it’ll be over before you know it!

The procedure doesn’t last long at all, but can feel weird and slightly painful at times. But, just keep reminding yourself that it’s for your own health and that in just a few minutes it’ll all be over.

We’ve got this ladies, HCXO!