This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

During the school year, it’s easy to get caught up in grades and tests and the stress of college in general. But sometimes, you need to take a break and turn up the fun. A great way to de-stress and make some fun (and cheap) decorations for your apartment is by getting crafty! You can throw a craft party or just make these things yourself. Here are 5 fun ideas that are simple enough to make, with tutorials on Pinterest or Google!

1. Glitter Leaf Garland

Whether you live in a dorm room or an apartment, you can decorate a space of wall, your mantle, or even above your window with this cute garland! You can’t really go wrong with glitter, and the leaves make it the perfect autumn accessory for your home! It’s an easy way to spruce up a space and add a little fall cheer. To make it, it’s as simple as buying some artificial leaves from the dollar store (or any craft store, the dollar store is just the cheapest), some Elmer’s liquid glue, and glitter! You put the glue on the leaves (we used a paintbrush), sprinkle the glitter on the leaf, shake off the excess glitter, and then let it dry! Once it’s dry, you punch a hole in the top of the leaf and attach a ribbon! It looks so cute! The link to the tutorial is here.

2. Fall Mason Jar Luminary

So this one seems a little intimidating, and does require a little more preparation than the previous craft, but it ends up being so cute! There are so many different ways/options you can do this. Just google “Fall Mason Jar Luminary” and you can do whichever one you want! We ended up trying it with a big leaf sticker that we got from Walmart (or the dollar store), some leftover orange paint, and a mason jar. Get your supplies and go for it! It’s a great fun way to add a little light and fall farmhouse-feel to your room!

3.   Leaf Printed Banner

This cute banner is another way to decorate a spare piece of wall or your mantle. Taking leaves that you get from outside (or the silk ones from the Dollar Store) you can just use them basically as a stamp! The result is a cute banner that you can hang and add a bit of the autumn feel to any room in your apartment or your dorm room! Check it out here!

4. Watercolor Leaf Wreath

Although this one it is recommended to use with a die cutter, if you don’t have one, you can always go old school and just cut leaves out with scissors (which is what we did)! Get a pattern online from Google or Pinterest, and then just get to cutting! You also just need watercolor scrapbook paper (or you can create your own watercolor paper if you’re that talented) and it’s as simple as putting them on a paper plate! Or look for other tutorials that are just as easy. This is another really popular project you can find anywhere online.

5. Pumpkin Vase Centerpiece

This idea actually came from Country Living Online! You simply take the pumpkin, scoop out the insides, and then put foam and flowers into it! It creates a really cute vase and centerpiece to hold flowers and other fall-feeling accessories (like acorns, pine cones, etc)! It’s super cute and super simple.

Regardless of the project you choose, just remember, it’s about having fun, adding a little excitement to your life, and de-stressing! Just enjoy the journey and add a little fall to your home! Happy crafting!

I'm a lover of all things furry, anything medical, working out, and writing.
HCUAB