Four Podcasts To Start Listening To in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Had enough of your favorite song? Want to read but don’t have the time? Need something to keep you awake on a long drive or something to put you to sleep at night? Then search no more! Podcasts have been popular since the late 2000s, but have been on the rise as of recent with new, creative topics and formats to keep listeners wanting more. Here are four podcasts (all avaliable on the Apple Podcast app) I’ve added to my roster for 2017–maybe you’ll add them to yours, too!

1) Homecoming by Gimlet Media

Homecoming is a drama podcast that takes the style of a story being told over phone calls and recordings, one that paints a clear picture in your head as our heroine tries to figure out what happened in her past. Featuring a cast of actors like Oscar Isaac, Catherine Keener, and David Schwimmer, it captivates you from the very first minute as it brings you into a world of rehabilitated soldiers, false identities, and alterior motives. The first season of six episodes just finished in December, but I expect more from them in the future. You can listen here.

2) The Adventure Zone by Maximum Fun

For the more geeky girls, I’d definately recommend The Adventure Zone, hosted by three brothers and their father. It’s essentially a recorded round of Dungeons and Dragons with their three characters, Taako, Merle, and Magnus–and boy, the adventures they get into will keep you on the edge of your seat laughing. With places like a fake moon, quests like creating the fictional taco, and leveling up at the Fantasy Costco, it’s a trip you don’t want to miss. You can listen here.

3) My Favorite Murder by Feral Audio

My Favorite Murder is for those who are fans of True Crime stories, and hosted by two kickass women. They discuss–quite obviously–their favorite real crimes in depth, but in a way that is thought provoking, and makes the listeners wonder more about the cases and why they’re so interesting. From local cases to ones that have gone unsolved for decades, the women make you put on your thinking caps and slip into the realm of some of the darkest crimes you may have never heard of. You can listen here.

4) LifeAfter by GE Podcast Theater

Okay, I definately admit to binging this one, but for good reason. If you’re a fan of Black Mirror (especially S2E1!), then this is the right podcast for you, as the story revolves around FBI Agent Ross eight months after his wife Charlie’s death, and how he reacts when she suddenly starts speaking to him again through his phone. Follow him as he tries to track down the source, discovers the secrets behind the scenes at the FBI, and copes with life after death. It’s a great mystery with ten episodes, and you can listen here.