brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FaceBook: Tomorrow’s History Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Social media seems to have everyone “plugged in”—our grandparents, former elementary school teachers, and coworkers can all be found posting on various social media platforms. FaceBook is the common ground of all the platforms; usually it is viewed as the “professional” or “family friendly” network. Though people are usually more conscious of what they post and who connects with them on FaceBook, it is still quite astonishing to see what people are distributing into the world and, maybe more surprisingly, to their personal communities. Have you ever cringed, been mortified, or had to remove yourself from social media because of a post you came across? Depending on how often you find yourself using social media platforms, the answer may be, “Yes, several times a day.”

Recent events have allowed the public to form countless opinions on politics, specific individuals and groups of people, and various social issues. Though we have grown up being taught to respect others, treat others the way you would like to be treated, and other morals of this nature, it seems the public, in general, has forgotten about any lessons of the sort. Posts created from ignorance and hate become viral on a daily basis— it is as though everyone has an opinion and no one is content with keeping it to him or herself. In today’s world of social media, there are no attempts at understanding others or acting in a civil manner. People are openly stereotyped and attacked. If someone disagrees with another commenter, it is more likely than not that an attack will be thrown his or her way… FaceBook has become a playing ground of negativity, attacks, and derogatory comments.

It is normal, acceptable, and desired for people to have differing ideas and perspectives. The issue in today’s world is that people are openly being disrespected. Why? Because Americans, in particular, feel entitled to say and do as they please. You pay taxes? Okay, say whatever you please to and about anyone who thinks and/or lives differently than you.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Social media users are writing tomorrow’s history, with their names penned into eternity. You may be shameless today, but how will you feel tomorrow?

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!