Mental Health: A person’s condition in regards to their psychological and emotional well-being. Mental Health affects how we think, feel, & act and determines how we handle different situations in our daily lives.
Stigma: When someone views you in a negative way because you have a characteristic or personal trait that is a disadvantage.
Here are some key facts, signs and symptoms that everyone should aware of!
- Suicide is a silent killer and the rates are sadly growing faster by the day. A lot of the time no one would ever know that one is experiencing mental health problems or going through depression. Being aware of the signs and symptoms are extremely important to know when someone is battling this horrible disease, which could help save a life.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 1 in 5 American adults experienced a mental health issue in their life.
- 1 in 10 young people experienced a period of major depression.
- 1 in 25 Americans lived with a serious mental illness.
- On Average there are 117 suicides per day & 41,000 lives claimed by suicide each year.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness
- Loss of interest
- Decreased energy or fatigue
- Moving or talking more slowly
- Feeling restless or having trouble sitting still
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
- Appetite/weight changes
- Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
- Unexplained aches or pains
- Severe mood swings