This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Though every day is a different day, Election Day is always one for the books. In years to come, we will be able to reflect on past election years, our views on the candidates, and the aftermath of the day. Below, members of the HCUAB team have documented their [future] histories by recounting their journeys to the polls. 

Election Day, for me, started as any typical weekday. I worked out before heading to work, and then I attended class after my shift. I did not send in my absentee ballot application, so I ended up travelling to my hometown to cast my vote. I was a little nervous about traffic, but after about thirty minutes of travelling below the speed limit, I was on my way. The polling station is actually walking distance from my house, so after a short, scenic walk through the community park, I arrived and only had to wait for two other people to get their ballots. Overall, my [first] Election Day was a breeze and I’m glad I exercised my right to vote! -Kristal Mayfield, Campus Correspondent  

Since I’m just 20 minutes from my hometown I decided to head to my polling place right after class around lunch. I knew to expect a long wait. There was a line wrapped around the building. I was surprised to see so many older people there. I let a disabled woman cut in front of me even though I had been waiting over an hour. She was gracious. I thought it showed how important it was to exercise our right to vote throughout our entire life no matter what condition we’re in. -Kryshonna Sledge, Campus Correspondent 

Election Day was what I expected today. I waited in line for an hour, but the cute little baby girl in front of me helped pass the time. I was glad to see that there were so many people at the polls this morning. After I got my sticker I headed on to work, and I made it in time. -Mercedes Vinson, Writer

Voting in my house isn’t an option: it’s mandatory. Waking up at seven in the morning and standing in line for over an hour may have not been the best start to my day after a long night, but I’m happy I did it. I’m proud that my vote matters, even if it made me a little late for class. Opportunities like this shouldn’t be wasted and I’m glad to be part of the change. -Erin Robinson, Writer

I was very impressed by the turnout, and how many disabled people I saw coming to cast their vote-putting aside their own discomfort and inconvenience to let their voice be heard. The only thing I was discouraged by was how few young people I saw, but I’m sure the majority were working or in class and will vote later today. I read an article last night about how hundreds of young women have been placing their “I Voted” stickers on the grave of women’s rights advocate Susan B. Anthony–I’m placing mine there in spirit! – Mary Katharine Armbrester, Writer

My Election Day experience was a little different. As a first time voter who had to vote absentee I did not get to experience the excitement of going to the poll! Nonetheless I am happy to hear that so many people went out to vote, and I am grateful that I was still able to –despite being 8 hours away from my polling location. – Tamia Hear, Writer

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!