The Deal Behind GASP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

On February 22nd, the Green Initiative and Anthropology Club sponsored the Greater Alabama to Stop Pollution (GASP) informational meeting at the University Boulevard Office Building. GASP is an Alabama-based group of inhabitants who have a common goal to fight “angry air.” In 2009, citizens concerned about environmental issues across Alabama came together to address the poor air quality. Formerly Alabama First (AF), the group started with less than a dozen members. In 2010, AF changed their name to GASP after being inspired by a group founded in 1970 to reduce ozone and particle pollution. In 2010, GASP celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Clean Air Act. Alabama legislators did not enforce the act until the Environmental Protection Agency became involved with legislators, community members, and pulmonologists in attempt to implement the Clean Air Act. Birmingham has a number of the oldest, highest polluting coal-fired power plants. In response to the Clean Air Act, the power plants claimed that they were soon to retire and rebuked the need to abide by the new laws. Today, the Southern Company-owned power plants are still in effect today with only minimal deference to the legislation. According to the American Lung Association in 2008, Birmingham had the dirtiest air in the south and the 5th dirtiest air in the country. In 2011, with the efforts of GASP and concerned citizens, Birmingham dropped to number 8 on the list. Although Birmingham is slowly making progress to reduce ozone and particle pollution, the city’s air still has a hazardous effect on the citizens’ health. Children, elderly, and those with respiratory problems, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes are most endangered by air pollution, bad toxics, and air pollutants. In 2010, GASP produced a film to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Clean Air Act and to inform local citizens of the danger of poor air quality. “We believe that everyone has a right to breathe clean air. We want to get started right now,” says Director of GASP, Kristen Bryant. To view the GASP for Clean Air film, visit their website here. To contribute to GASP’s efforts, contact Kbryant@alabamafirst.org for volunteer opportunities. GASP asks concerned Alabamians to spread the word about the health and economic risks associated with poor air quality.

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.