Childish Gambino and Rihanna Team up for ‘Guava Island’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

DDonald Glover is a man of many talents. He sings he raps, he acts, he produces… he’s basically the modern Renaissance man. 

After his set at Coachella he released his new movie Guava Island on Amazon Prime. 

The 54-minute movie was filmed in Cuba and stars Rihanna. For months it has been kept relatively under the radar aside from a few photos that surfaced of Rihanna on set. The film follows the story of Glover’s character, Deni Maroon, a musician who wants to set up a music festival. Rihanna plays Maroon’s girlfriend, Kofi Novia. 

Guava Island was available for anyone to stream for free on Amazon Prime for the first 18 hours of its release. It was also streamed on Twitch.tv. If you’re late to the party then you’ll need to be an Amazon Prime member to watch it. 

Fans on social media are raving about the film, calling it the “collaboration they didn’t know they needed”. Both Fenty and Glover are artists who are killing it in different avenues of their career. Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty is one the most raved about beauty brands on the market and she is consistently introducing new products to her line. Gambino is a part a several summer lineups this year while he takes a break from filming his hit TV show ‘Atlanta’. 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.