7 Shows With Black Leads You Should Binge Watch Right Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Throughout the years, diversity and representation in entertainment has greatly increased. More black people within the tv/film industry are being recognized for their work. In honor of all these individuals, here are a few star-studded shows that depict various perspectives of the African-American society and experience. Black History Month may be over, but that shouldn’t stop you from binge watching these shows! 

1. Atlanta—Hulu 

Atlanta portrays the lives of Alfred, an upcoming rapper, his manager Earn, and best friend Darius as they navigate between the music scene and real-life in the ATL. The show intersects culture, socioeconomics, and relationships within the black community in a unique way.  2017 Golden Globe—Best Television Series: Musical/Comedy Winner

2. Blackish—Hulu

Dre and Bow Johnson guide their family through the hardships of being in a predominantly white community in Blackish. The love and hilarity the family shares will have you rolling on the floor wishing you were a Johnson too! 2018 NAACP Image Awards—Outstanding Comedy Series Winner

3. Dear White People—Netflix 

Dear White People portrays the lives of black students that attend a predominately white ivy league college. You can easily empathize with the students as they combat stereotyping, racial bias, and other forms of prejudice. 2018 NAACP Image Awards—Outstanding Comedy Series Nominee

4. Roots (2016)—Hulu 

Dear White People is a sold the story of Alex Haley’s African ancestors, beginning with the capture of Kunta Kinte leading up to his enslavement and the legacy that follows. It is a global African story that will change how you think about slavery.​ 2017 NAACP Image Awards—Outstanding Writing in a Motion Picture (Television)

5. Seven Seconds—Netflix 

The Netflix Original Seven Seconds is a captivating series about the hit and run of a young black teen and the aftermath following the event. The show challenges the confines between police corruption, race, and the concept of justice. 2019 Golden Globe—Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television

HCUAB