This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

1.    Surge Protectors 

Surge protectors are the one of the most important items you’ll ever need in college. At first you think you might not need one, but they’re very useful for the multiple devices you’ll eventually accumulate throughout college. 

2.    Shoe rack 

A shoe rack is the most effective way to save on closet space, and there are several different varieties. There are some that stack on top of each other or hang on your closet rack or door. Shoe racks are extremely convenient, because they can also cut down time when you’re running late and don’t have time to look for a particular pair of shoes. 

3.    Coffee Maker 

Coffee is the saving grace for most college students. To save in money investing in some brand of a coffee maker is a very smart financial decision. I suggest get one that is easy to use and doesn’t require a lot of attention. Perfect for making coffee while getting ready for the dreaded 8 am.

4.    Plug ins!

If you like great smells and you live in a dorm you know candles are off limits. Plug ins are a wonderful alternative to candles and are a much safer and responsible option.  P. S. Keep air freshener spray handy as well.

5. Rolling laundry basket

Now this is the most important purchase for your dorm room. Like most college dorms, you share a laundry room with the entire building and it’s usually far away. A rolling laundry basket is the way to go! Trust me you do not want to be the person struggling with 2 week of laundry, in the hallway. Been there done that!

My name is Dominique and I'm very passionate about recycling.
HCUAB