This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

10 Must Try Beauty Products

Having trouble finding beauty products you love? Well look no further here’s a list of some of my personal favorites that I think are definitely worth trying out for yourself. 

Too Faced: Candlelight Glow Highlighter

This is the highlight of my life. This product has a beautiful glow and shimmer. The powder color duo can be used separately or together; I swirl my brush through both to get a blend of the colors. I have this product in the shade Rosy Glow. This is one of my favorite highlights I have used. Unlike other highlights I have used this one isn’t overly glittery with big flecks of shine. This highlight can be blinding or subtle depending on how heavy you layer it; its it’s very versatile for use for different events or just casual wear. If you want a lasting glow this highlight is the way to go.

Shea Moisture: African Black Soap and Lotion

These products have been a miracle for my face. I had struggled for years and went through more acne products than I could count before I found these products. This soap fights and helps prevent future breakouts on my skin. I have used both the bar soap and bottled body soap and both are my favorite weapon to use against breakouts. The soap can be a bit drying so I recommend using the lotion after washing your face. The lotion isn’t oily or greasy on the skin, but leaves the skin feeling soft and hydrated. Both products also smell great, but don’t worry the scent isn’t overwhelming.

Tarte: Double Duty Shape Tape Hydrating Foundation

I tried this foundation on a whim because of an Ulta sale and couldn’t be happier that I did. This foundation has a buildable coverage that feels light and smooth on the skin. I use a beauty blender with this foundation to get a more even coverage. The product also wears well in the Alabama heat and humidity, without looking extremely oily! After use my combination skin feels hydrated, but not overly oily which I love. I do recommend using a setting powder in places that tend to get oily as it will help fight any shine that happens.

Maybelline: Fit Me Matte+Poreless Liquid Foundation

As someone with combination skin I know the struggle of finding a foundation that doesn’t irritate your skin. This foundation provides medium coverage that doesn’t feel or look cakey on the skin; I recommend applying this foundation with a beauty blender to get more even coverage. I use the normal to oily version of this foundation and haven’t had problems with it causing breakouts, dryness, or oiliness.

Benefit: Roller Lash Curling & Lifting  Mascara

This mascara is great for those almost no makeup days. It gives my lashes the appearance of being curled without using a curler. If you have straight lashes like I do I suggest using a curler as well, for longer lasting curl. I wear it in the shade black and have noticed slight flaking, but not enough that its it’s a problem.

Maybelline: The Rocket Volum’ Express Mascara

My lashes struggle to hold curl even after I use a curler, but this mascara helps them hold curl just as well as more expensive mascaras I’ve used. I use this mascara in the …. shade that has deep black color that doesn’t noticeably run or flake off throughout the day. Other mascaras I have used have irritated my eyes, but this one doesn’t have that effect.

Neutrogena: Night Calming Makeup Removing Towelettes  

I have used both the calming version and regular version of these makeup removers, both are great. I personally prefer the calming version because the light calming scent. I take my makeup off late in the day or at night so the relaxing smell helps me calm down from the day I had. These towelettes remove even the toughest makeup with little to no trouble and I can even get most of my makeup off with one wipe! I generally do light makeup so someone who does more may need to use more wipes.

Too Faced: Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick

I use this lip in the shade velvet which is a deep red. The applicator makes applying really easy, just make sure you don’t squeeze too much out. The formula isn’t drying, but I use a chapstick before applying just to get a smoother appearance. This lip wears fairly well even when eating, but may need reapplied if what you’re eating is greasy or oily.

Physicians Formula: The Healthy Lip

I cannot praise this lipstick more; it is the best liquid lipstick I have ever purchased. The formula goes on smooth and is very pigmented, with a satin finish that isn’t drying. This lip has some impressive wear power and looked great even after a pile of honey bbq wings! I use this product in the shades Dose of Rose and Fight Free Red-icals.

Too Faced: Milk Chocolate Bronzer

This is one of my all time favorite bronzers and not just because it smells like chocolate. The bronzer has a matte finish and is well pigmented; if you have a light complexion be careful of how much product is on your brush. When set with a setting spray the bronzer stays looking better longer. I personally use this bronzer for light contouring and use a large round brush for blending it out for a more natural look.

Hannah is a freshman at UAB and is majoring in communications with a concentration in journalism.
HCUAB