This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

You call yourself a feminist but you don’t recognize other identities that play into marginalization.

You call yourself a feminist yet you mock guys who aren’t “manly enough.”

You call yourself a feminist and fight for women to be dominant over men.

You call yourself a feminist but do not consider Trans Women to be a part of the feminist discourse.

You call yourself a feminist while calling other women sluts, whores, bitches, and hoes.

You call yourself a feminist yet mock women you consider prude.

You call yourself a feminist and don’t want to “ be like those others girls.”

You call yourself a feminist and make sweeping generalizations about all men or all women.

You call yourself a feminist but you tear down other women if their actions don’t synch up with your perception of how things should be.

You call yourself a feminist and you don’t try to empower other women.

You call yourself a feminist but the intersections of race, gender, socioeconomic class, and ethnicity elude you.

You call yourself a feminist because you have some women friends, so of course that makes you a feminist.

You call yourself a feminist, but are you really pushing for a better society? Between saying you only fight for all women and not wrapping your head around the idea that all women have identities beyond their womanhood. When saying you’re a feminist, make sure you consider the other identities many women have, because saying you fight for women’s rights and really only fight for the rights of White, cisgender, hetersexual, middle-class women, does a disservice for all other women.

You call yourself a feminist, but…

1

Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems. 
Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.