nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Wyoming is Haunted & Here are Some Places to Go Ghost Hunting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the freaky, weird and paranormal things. I have been fascinated by the thought of what happens after death and if those we have lost hang around for a while after. My mind has remained open to the theory that ghosts and demons do exist and they can communicate with us.

My Saturday nights usually revolve around the show Ghost Adventures. I have been watching the crew since their show started in 2008. While their posse of paranormal detectives has changed since they began, they are always up to the challenge to find what is haunting every location they arrive at. They have been all over the globe, investigating castles, old prisons, old hospitals, and much more.

Zak Bagans and his crew have even visited our lovely state of Wyoming. In 2013, they visited Rawlins to investigate the Wyoming Frontier Prison. The building was in service until 1981, and even still has the original gas chamber where 5 people lost their lives. The crew had a camera move unexplainably and heard voices throughout the prison when no one was around. I’ve never been there to see if I felt anything weird, but I would love to one day.

Surprisingly, Wyoming is full of haunted attractions. Some of the few that claim to be haunted are; The Irma Hotel in Cody, The Sweetwater County Library in Green River, The Heart Mountain Relocation Center in Powell, Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, Fort Bridger Historic Site in Fort Bridger, Fort Laramie Historic Site in Laramie, Wyoming Territorial Prison in Laramie, and The Plains Hotel in Cheyenne. If you’re brave enough, take a visit to one of these locations this summer.

I am not really afraid of ghosts, just more intrigued. I have never been able to come in contact with a paranormal entity, but it would be interesting to see what they have to say.

Megan Lord

U Wyoming '19

Megan is a senior at the University of Wyoming. She is a Secondary Education/Social Studies major with a focus in History. Her hometown is Rock Springs, Wyoming, just 200 miles west of Laramie. Megan loves being outdoors and avidly hunts with her grandpa and fiancé. Her free-time includes; diamond painting, crafting for her wedding, writing her blog, working out, riding horses, and riding motorcycles.
Abbey is a senior at the University of Wyoming and is currently majoring in Journalism. She couldn't imagine a world without Jesus, coffee, The 1975, Twitter or her family. You'll usually find her at a concert or cafe somewhere, which is where she spends majority of her free-time. Talking to band members after their shows is a hobby, along with thrifting & indulging in all aspects of pop culture. After college, she plans to spend more time at concerts, getting paid to write about music and bands.