This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

The second season of Sex Education recently came out on Netflix, and somehow it was even better than the first season. This show has so much to offer, especially within the teen drama genre. It feels distinctly different than any show for teens that I’ve seen before. It basically follows Otis as he and his friend Maeve create a business giving sex advice. However, there are a lot more plotlines happening with a large cast of characters. 

This show is hilarious. The British humor really comes through and fits perfectly with the subject matter. My roommates and I were laughing out loud throughout each episode. Sex Education faces the awkward, taboo parts of being in high school head-on. As the title suggests, it talks a lot about sex and the real anxieties that teens (and adults) feel about it. It does the important work of normalizing these anxieties and taking the shame away from them. This show also has a ton of representation of different sexualities. There was a great scene this season that addressed asexuality, which has a major lack of representation in media.

There are so many great, diverse characters in this show. Each major character is fleshed-out with their own backstory and unique personality. This is especially awesome to see for the female characters. I’m always going back and forth trying to decide who my favorite character is because so many of them are so distinctly loveable. It’s easy to get invested in each of their lives and find yourself tearing up when something goes wrong for them. 

Beyond relationships and sex, this show deals a lot with friendships. I loved watching old friendships strengthen and new ones blossom. This season an awesome girl squad came together that felt like a joining of forces. It made my heart soar to see these women supporting each other through the craziness in their lives.

Sex Education sets a great example for teen shows in the future, especially in regards to diversity and the discussion of taboo topics. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that you need to watch this show! 

1, 2

Hailee Riddle

U Wyoming '20

Writing is hard, but I love it. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." HC U Wyoming Writing since 2016