Why Gilmore Girls Has the Perfect Ending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

The last four words in the “Fall” episode have left many people wanting more. I, on the other hand, could not be happier about the ending.

The objective of Gilmore Girls has always been to show just how alike Lorelai and Rory are. When you truly begin to think about the ending, you realize that this end was supposed to happen nine years ago, when Rory was 23. At age 23, just after finishing college, Rory was going to be pregnant and lost. Maybe this would have gone over better for fans of the show, but unfortunately Amy Sherman-Palladino was not able to work on the final season.

What the revival did, was have the characters mirror themselves. I am not saying that Lorelai and Rory’s stories are completely alike, considering Lorelai became pregnant as a teenager and Rory was already grown, but the similarities between them are present. We are given what the show offers, the stories of two girls, specifically the Gilmore girls.

Unfortunately, a show must always have an ending (unless it is a soap opera that continuously adds new characters, which completes each character’s story). What better way to end a show like Gilmore Girls, then by going back to the concept of a single mother, absentee father, and a town that welcomes them with open arms?

I understand why people want more, it would definitely be amazing, especially for those like me that have always been #TeamJess. However, so many of the much-loved characters from the series will not even be available. Melissa McCarthy’s schedule will not allow for time on the show, Liza Weil is too busy with How to Get Away with Murder, and Milo Ventimiglia has This Is Us (which is an amazing show) to worry about. Most of the actors no longer have the ability to be a part of this show, it would never be the same.

I have never been more captivated by a show, than I was with Gilmore Girls, and the ending was just the cherry on top of the cake. We may not know if Rory chooses to keep her child or who she ends up with, but the Lorelai chapter has finally ended after marrying Luke, and that was what most people finally wanted to see. As a fan of the show from the start, I can say that the show exceeded my expectations and has not left me with a feeling of what next.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.