We Are Her Campus: Emily Cornell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Emily Cornell

Year: Second Year Graduate Student

Degree Sought: MA in Communication

Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO

Her Campus: Why did you decide to attend school at UW?

Emily Cornell: I toured the campus when I was in high school and loved it, so I did my undergrad here. I chose to come back for grad school because the community is fantastic and I like the professors.

HC: Why did you choose your degree?

EC: In pursuit of the career I want, I figured a master’s of communication would be a versatile option. I also really wanted to work with a certain professor in my department. I chose to do my undergraduate degree in business management because I didn’t have a solid idea of what I wanted for a career but wanted options when I graduated.

HC: What is your dream job?

EC: MLS Commissioner or food critic for food in other countries for Eater.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

EC: The typical hobbies of many students: binge-watching Netflix, coloring, baking, making attempts at deconstructing the patriarchy, spin, having adventures, and eating desserts. Oh, and I’m a fan of playing and watching sports.

HC: What is your favorite class/professor at UW?

EC: I took a Rhetoric and Social Justice course that really got me amped about social issues. The professor who teaches the class also gets me amped about social justice, so Dr. Patton is probably my favorite professor as well…

HC: What advice would you give to freshmen?

EC: You don’t have to have it all figured out. When people ask you what you plan to do with your degree, “I don’t know” is an acceptable response. It’s hard to know what exactly you want when you’re 18, 19, 20, or even 25. Just work hard and be nice.

Unsolicited Emily opinions: Build your network, have fun, study abroad, have adventures, give back to the community you live in, try new things as often as you can, eat a vegetable every few days, learn how to make at least three dishes you enjoy eating, take chances, attend class, and do well in school so you can do all the other fun things.

HC: Why did you join Her Campus?

EC: I started reading Her Campus when I was a freshman and always thought it would be cool to write for Her Campus. When UW’s chapter started, I knew I needed to be involved.

HC: What is your favorite article/event/memory from HC?

EC: I’m really fond of the “Social Justice: The Gay Agenda” article. I enjoy writing the fun articles, but throughout grad school I’ve discovered a love of discussing social issues. I think that’s partially why I love this article because it was the beginning of writing about something I’m truly passionate about.

HC: Why would you encourage someone else to write for HC?

EC: Her Campus creates a space for people to find their voice and learn about what their passion is when it comes to writing. Also, the group of women in HC are phenomenal and so supportive of each other. It’s really awesome seeing women empowering other women!

HC: What are you most looking forward to moving forward in HC?

EC: Although I graduate in May, I look forward to seeing the Wyoming HC chapter grow and be recognized even more on campus. I know people already know we’re here, but I think more awareness would be really beneficial.

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.
Emily Cornell

U Wyoming '17

Emily is a graduate of the University of Wyoming with a Bachelor's in Business Management and Master's in Communication. In terms of career, Emily interned for Wyoming Athletics, and wants to eventually work in sports marketing. When not working or in class, she can typically be found baking cheesecakes, drinking coffee, or having random adventures. If the idea of these three things seem exciting, you can follow her on Instagram or Twitter, username: emilproblems.