We Are Her Campus: Channing Downing Bice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

Name: Channing Downing Bice

Year: Senior

Degree Sought: Management with a minor in Marketing Communication

Hometown: Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Her Campus: Why did you decide to attend school at UW? I decided to start school here because it was an affordable, close to home opportunity to earn a university education.

Channing Downing Bice: Why did you choose your degree? My path to choosing a degree was a little unconventional. I chose management because I felt a little lost with my English degree when I started at UW. I chose management because I grew up helping my parents run a small business and felt as though I needed to hurry and choose a degree so I could graduate and hoped I would figure out the rest later. From there, some of my other work experiences led me to enjoying marketing communication type tasks so I took on the minor which is leading me to pursue my master’s in Public Communication and Technology after graduation in May.

HC: What is your dream job?

CDB: Excellent question. Honestly, anything government, health or non-profit related that allows for me to do their communication, marketing and graphic design work.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

CBD: Traveling, catching local live music concerts, writing, event planning, playing around with graphic design software, or hanging out with family and friends.

HC: What is your favorite class/professor at UW?

CDB: That would have to be a tie between Advertising in the Media and PR Techniques with Dr. Cindy Price Schultz or Organizational Behavior and Negotiations with Dr. Jaron Harvey.

HC: What advice would you give to freshmen?

CDB: Fail at what you love, the money will come. Stay tuned, the full explanation of this sentiment will be an upcoming article from yours truly.

HC: Why did you join Her Campus?

CDB: I joined Her Campus because I always had an interest in it since it became active on our campus and I was really hoping to find an outlet that let me publish my writings so more than just my professors or my mom would be able to read them.

HC: What is your favorite article/event/memory from HC?

CDB: Oh goodness, every minute with Her Campus has brought its own joys. My favorite articles have been “The Battle That Saved My Life” and “An Open Letter from an Alumna Whose Former Coach is now a Felon” because those pieces specifically led to people reaching out to me that had been affected the exact situation or something similar, which further pushed me to pursue my masters in the communication field. My favorite events have been HC with HC or any of our poster decorating sessions because we’ve all gotten to hang out together as a team which has been super fun.

HC: Why would you encourage someone else to write for HC?

CDB: Being able to write for HC allows an awesome opportunity to practice writing in another way that is different from an academic writing voice. It also allows for someone to speak to a certain issue that resonates with many other people that normally most people are afraid to speak out about, so validating the experiences of others can be inexplicably rewarding.

HC: What are you most looking forward to moving forward in HC?

CDB: Anything and everything I have left with HC before graduation. Sometimes it blows my mind how just 10 minutes with my Her Campus team can turn my day around from me being grumpy to being in an awesome mood!

Kaitlyn is a recent grad the University of Wyoming, where she got her degree in Marketing. She has been the Campus Correspondent for a Pink level chapter, a Chapter Advisor to some amazing chapters, and now has the pleasure of being a Region Leader. Born and raised on the Western Slope of Colorado, her love for nature and the outdoors comes naturally. Kaitlyn lives for football season, but finds way to stay preoccupied during the off-season. She enjoys long walks in the mountains, beer as cold as her heart, and bacon on her burgers. You can follow Kaitlyn’s adventures on Instagram, @kaysoup.
Brunch enthusiast with a severe case of wanderlust from rural western Nebraska, studying at the University of Wyoming working towards a degree in Management and minor in Marketing Communication. My loves include, my family, friends, shih tzu-yorkie puppy Charlie, Alpha Kappa Psi, the mountains, grilled cheese and Mexican food.