UW Meets Kylie & Amelia: Youtubers Behind “Madison Meets Vine”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Wyoming chapter.

When Kylie Christopherson and Amelia Giordano met in their Intro to Mass Media class they were looking for a study buddy, but they would have never guessed they would soon be studying how to start their own YouTube Channel. Kylie and Amelia are both juniors majoring in communication when they discovered they both wanted to start making videos. At the beginning of 2016 the girls launched their own YouTube channel, Madison Meets Vine, and are posting videos covering beauty, nature, favorites, food and everything in between.

How did you come up with the name for your channel?

Amelia: I’m really bad with this kind of thing, so Kylie came up with the name.

Kylie: It’s a mass media marketing term. Madison Avenue is in New York and Vine Street is in Los Angeles and it came from the West coast and East coast connection in media.

What inspired you to start a YouTube channel?

A: We were talking about YouTube one day and I told her it was something I’ve always wanted to try and it turned out she was interested too. We sat down talked about our ideas, wrote them down, and got started.

K: The first day we shot first films we didn’t know what we were doing. We had to Google how to change functions on the camera.

What’s your favorite part about having a vlog?

K: Sharing opinions and doing it with friends.

A: The process is fun and exciting even though we are still pretty small. Our videos are something that connects you with other people, people we would have never met.

What’s been the hardest part about starting a vlog?

K: Figuring out the talking part of it. Amelia is girly and talks a lot but I’m more of the laid back, tom boy so we’re finding the balance there.

A: Editing, right now we are using a basic program. The first one we downloaded was pretty advanced, so we switched to Windows Movie Maker. Things like jump cuts and making sure the songs are not too loud are some things I’m working on.

How has living in Wyoming helped your channel? Or is our location more of a challenge?

A: Since we do have a smaller population base building a target audience is a little harder, but I think it’s good because we haven’t found another Wyoming YouTube channel out there. We can talk about it and it helps us stand out. YouTuber in a city may have a lot of other YouTubers in close vicinity. So if you’re starting up you can do collaborations which helps.

K: I do horsemanship and I’ve featured my cowgirl boots, but we disprove a lot of the wrong conceptions about Wyoming. Like we don’t ride our horses to school and we do have electricity like the rest of the country.

What goals do you have for your channel in the future?

A: Growing our audience, which we’ve been learning how to do. There isn’t a manual for building your audience, but we’ve been learning the technology that goes with it; scheduling posts or boosting posts on Facebook.

K: If we have a greater audience we would love to ask for feedback. We want responses regardless of whether they are positive or negative.

What advice would you give someone else who may be interested in starting a blog?

A: Just do it. The hurdle we had to go through in the beginning was we needed to just make the first video. Don’t be scared to try new things. We’re doing things we’ve never done before. One of our videos was on snowshoeing and that was our first time, we actually got lost! If you really like doing beauty tutorials then do it. Don’t be scared of other people doing the same thing. That was hard for us at first, but we like making videos, and we are different people, doing it in a new way.

K: We were getting ready to start the channel a good month before we shot any video. But it was mostly getting past the being scared part. The first time you’re in front of camera, it’s oh god, I can’t see myself, and what am I doing? You have to figure out how to talk normally and naturally. Everyone hears about viral videos but it isn’t super realistic. It takes time being consistent to build a fanbase.

If you could have one guest on your channel who would it be and why?

K: Ellen because she’s just funny and I love her sense of humor. Lots of sarcasm, but she’s really positive and supports a lot of different people.

A: They’re called the holy trinity of YouTubers: Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, and Hannah Hart. They are all really good friends and are a good example for adult friendships. I really like how genuine they seem and they are effortlessly funny, which I want people to see with our channel.

So if you need a well-deserved study break, subscribe to Madison Meets Vine. They come out with new videos every Friday at noon. You can also find them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Sara is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Enviromental and Natural Resources. She was born in Northern Kentucky but has lived in Laramie for 10 years now. She has a communications internship with the Wyoming EPSCoR program and writes for their blog. She also works as a lifegaurd and swim instructor at the local recreation center. To balance out her busy life Sara loves to read, do yoga, and plan her adventures abroad. She enjoys the small things that make life wonderful including rain, green grass, and coffee. One day she hopes to live in Seattle, write for an environmental publication, and travel the world to cover her stories.
Sarah Ott

U Wyoming

Sara is a senior Marketing major at the University of Wyoming. She is a Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent of Wyoming's Her Campus chapter, along with President of the Student Alumni Association, and Director of Marketing for ASUW Student Government. When she's not having mental breakdowns from stress, she enjoys cuddling with her roommate's cat and hiding under a mound of blankets. All she really wants is to live somewhere where it's warm year round and to not be berated for her massive tea consumption. To check out her ridiculous and crazy life, check out her Instagram, username: twigott